jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
What do you guys think about monthly reef visits?

I think it would be a great opportunity for us to get together, trade frags, and learn tips and techniques from other reefers in our area. In my case seeing other reef tanks in the area was my best learning experience. You get to see how bright their tanks are, how much water flow there is, and an overall view of the quality and health of the corals. Some things cannot be read and must be experienced in person.
Seeing a healthy reef tank in person can also be the best motivation for you lazy reefers to get your act together and straighten out you reef!

I would be willing to have a meeting at my house, and I know there a quite a few Hams out there who would love to have their reefs viewed.

LMK what you guys think and who would be willing to have an open house for their reefs.

[ December 08, 2004, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: jackson6745 ]

eghatchny

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea! I haven't seen your tank for about a year now and looking forward to passing by again. My tank is not as much as yours and others, but I'm up for it. Let me know when.

Missy Johnson

Masta of Disasta
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hitsnorth and I are in and would love to host a reef visit at our place in Murray Hill, NY. Our tanks are a work in progress, and our apartment is 'Manhattan-sized" - but it would be great to have some of you over for beers and fish-geek talk.

Andy

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Hey, Missy. It Andy from the frag meet. Thanks for the nice gesture on allowing fellow reefers over to see your tank. Would really be interested to seeing some local reefer setups since I'm new at this myself and just got a 72 gallon tank underway.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Missy, Beers and fish geek talk sound good to me

Mantis806

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
my door is open to a few people at a time. i'm still a college student living at home, so i don't think my parents appreciate me bringing over a ton of people. i would love to see everyone's setups too. and they say new yorkers are inhospitable and rude...we rule!

ap714

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey guys...I,m new to here...Your Idea is what I posted in another thread somewhere on here I believe the name was Looking for locals...IT IS AN AMAZING IDEA!!!! I am up for it...Just let me know where and when and i will be there...My tank is just cycling but just the same i would love to do that....

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Cool, I'm glad you guys think its a good idea. So lets decide who will host the first open house. It seems that 7-10max people per visit is reasonable in most cases. I have strictly SPS in my reef. I know Michael has huge F/O tanks, Alrha has a huge SPS reef, House has an awesome mixed reef etc.....

What do you guys feel like seeing first? What location would be most managable? I am located in Bensonhurst Brooklyn. If anyone would like to host the first open house speak up
. If not I could always host the first visit.....

[ December 09, 2004, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: jackson6745 ]

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
I would be willing to host the first - since my name is house, it's only fitting - ;)

We could also compliment this with a quick stint to House of Fins in Greenwich, which is always a treat if you like healthy animals (bring your wallet, though - after all it is Greenwich). Metro North is about 5 minutes from my house, so you NYC residents I can pick 3-4 up at the train station.

Let me know who's interested. I am off from work from Dec 24th until Jan 4th so I can also do a day thing if anyone is interested. Come on Vic, I know you want to come see it :)

Jim

Mantis806

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
i've seen house's tank and it's gorgeous and definitely worth the trip up there. i'm in fresh meadows, queens. depending on the dateand time, i will definitely want to join if i can make it and i could probably drive about 3 people from the queens area. i've never been to house of fins. how far is it from you, house? i don't remember how to get to house's place, and i know i got lost the first time too. maybe it won't be as bad this time...

Missy Johnson

Masta of Disasta
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hits and I would love to come see House's tank - but it's hard for us to make a commitment until the holidays have passed. We'll host our 'Open House' after the holiday season (mid-Jan?) and have it on a Sat/Sun from maybe 1pm on for whomever wants to drop in. We can't really have more than a few people over at a time...

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
I as going to shoot for just after the holidays since I am off from work until Jan 4th (I love working in education - pay sucks, but the time off is awesome).

House of Fins is about 1/2 hour from my house just off RT 95 it is on the way back to queens.

The next few weekends are booked up for me as well, so I would be looking for just after Christmas, or like Missy, sometime in January.

Mantis, thanks for the compliments, I am glad you enjoyed it (and sorry you got lost)

I am about 40 miles north from NYC and only about 45 mins from Queens and for those in New Rochelle, even closer :)

Anyhow, I'll see what dates I can come up with and post and go from there - I really think seeing House of Fins is also worth the trip.

House

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: