James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
become so popular? I have been out of the hobby for a few years and am about to get back in and I am seeing these beautiful Australian corals all over, from the LFS's to the online stores. I can certainly understand why they are popular (some of them are stunning) but when did this start? Were they in the states and my memory is just horrible or what? If it is a new "trend" in the hobby, can anybody let me know how/where/when it started?

:)

James

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Not exactly an answer to your question but I remember when Aussie fish were much more inexpensive then they are now and a little more available. 3" Scribbled angels were routinely about $80 at a LFS and Personifiers were about $99.

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
With the Aussie dollar up 45% against the greenback in the last three months, Australian corals could start to get more expensive soon.

TOTAL AQUARIUMS

Chief of the Tang Police
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Randy, I think it is just under 2 years. Australian corals will always be expensive, it's not just because of the demand though. Australia is a developed country and so the collectors aren't getting paid pennies a day to go out and collect. It costs them more to get it and that with the demand and much higher shipping from there makes them expensive.

Chraddam

ALL AROUND BAMF
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
With the Aussie dollar up 45% against the greenback in the last three months, Australian corals could start to get more expensive soon.

Wait, as opposed to now? Every LFS I go to has rather unappealling corals waaaaaaaayyyy overpriced because they put the word "Aussie" in front of the name...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: