M

MorpheusIII.

I have a 180 gal. marine tank with a 30 gal. sump... I do 20 gal. water changes a week, is this to much or to little. I fine it uses a lot of salt, (tropic marin pro) this way. My question is..... do I need to do water changes that often or can it be done another way if so please enlighten me on a more efficient way of doing water changes. Thanks everybody... a lesson to be learned signed New Jack City

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I use to do weekly w/c for years. This past spring/summer I didn't do any w/c from April to September, and my corals did great. So now I'm doing them every two months.
But I am also stepping up my testing to make sure things are going as they should be.;)

chanman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
i dont see the need to do a water change that much on a 180g with 30sump. As long as you have a monster skimmer you can probably do once a month and keep up with top off(ro water).

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it all depends on your bioload. no 2 tanks are the same and yours might need the waterchanges your doing.
what is in the tank as far as livestock?
is there anything that is using alot of calcium/trace elements?

emmanuel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
on my 125 I used to do water changes every other week 25 gallons and if I saw a hint of algae every week 25 gallons but since my sps grew so much and my calcium reactor couldn't keep up with alkalinity I started doing water changes every 3-4 weeks 25 gallons (to keep things stable and see if reactor changes are working cause water changes raise your alkalinity) and didn't notice any negative affects but I have a small bioload and a over sized skimmer aquac ev240 with mag 18 pump and running rowaphose and carbon through separate reactors + a refugium and even got a tiny bit of an algae scrubber built into my overflows that's the only place I allow algae to grow I also keep filter floss in my overflow to catch particles before they get to the sump and vacum out the detritus that builds up in the sump and overflows almost every water change

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
i have a nice amount of live stock and only do water changes like once a month some times a little longer i do add like 3g every day tho so maybe the adding of fresh rodi serve the same perpose as the changes but my tanks is doing well with out alot of water changes... but like mister x stated every one tank is different

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: