T

The Great Rupert AKA AM

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I really want to learn. one of the reasons is I am so close to the hudson, and while it isn't the most beutiful body of water to observe I've always wanted to make a aquarium based on the hudson.

where would you recomend I go to learn more? I've done research in the past, but no one seems to say you don't need x or y, but z is esential. I mean i don't need a wet suit, I wore sandals today and wasn't bothered. I even waited for my bus transfer for half an hour outside.

Dave ESPI

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to finish my cert fer solos.

I freedive with PONY tanks a lot when I go so I can stay down fer a few min at a rip when snorkeling. I have a standing offer with Triton Marine to come down and finish my cert and to dive fer them, but its FLORIDAUH..... Old people, hurricanes, Bugs and no snowboarding "GASP !AGHAST ! UGH ! !

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
You can get certified in New York through Scuba Network for about $150. On top of this you have to pay for your open water test, NAUI or PADI book and table (chart), face mask and snorkel, weight belt and if you need one, a wetsuit. (I dont use one, I have enough of my OWN insulation.)

I recommend you take your open water test someplace warm where the water is nice and clear. I imagine that diving the hudson would not be great, visability is probably less than 1 foot.

I got certified in 1996, and have gone diving about 7 times. It is an AMAZING experience. Anyone that dives on a beautiful reef and afterwords says that there is no God is hopeless. ;)

-Alfred

T

The Great Rupert AKA AM

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
there is aparently a scuba place in my town of all places. I wonder how they stay in business? they definatly do training and certification, but I doubt that my tiny town amung cities can support a full fledged store.

dragonwrasse

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
TGR - I got my open water, advanced, and master certifications all through Scuba Network, so I recommend them. I think there's one in Yonkers. I estimate that between equipment, course and certification dives, it'll cost about $750 in total to get fully certified. If you have other questions, please feel free to drop one of us a PM.

I know people from NC to FL have had success collecting for their tanks. I know juvenile angels and butterflys get washed up here from the south, and we are actually doing them a favor by catching them because they'll just die during the winter. I know some things about what presumably can be done, but I would really like to hear from anyone who has actually gone diving in the Northeast, brought something back alive, and put it in his/her aquarium.

T

The Great Rupert AKA AM

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
in all honesty I don't want to get certified. I can snorkle in the hudson fine, but if I knew how to safly use somthing that could let me stay down a tad longer in between air it would really help. it takes time to get the the bottom and back up so my time looking at a particular crab or school of fish is limited. I definatly want to know the saftey stuff, don't get me wrong. I just don't need to know a ton about not desending to quikly. I just don't want to make my equipment blow up. if it stops working that's fine, I can just swim up 10 feet for air.

do they make any thing like an auxilaryt lung? a bigf plastic bag conected tro a snorkle that lets you breath in and out the partaly depleated oxygen in the air yet not make me float?

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Rupert,

ANy sort of contained breathing equipment requires some training to use. I recommend taking the PADI open water diver certication course which costs about $300 (probably less if you look around).

I know that villagedivers.com runs a LOT of dive trips in the LI sound. Apparently if you are into wreck diving this is best place in the world.

A

agilis

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I am a scuba diver, certified since 1972, but actually diving longer than that. I have collected my own aquarium fish since the late 60s, scuba diving and snorkeling in the Caribbean and in Florida, and also in the northeast, from Rhode Island down to North Carolina. Most of my local collecting is in NJ, for Gulf Stream tropical strays in late summer/early fall. We get lots of tropicals in NJ, including huge numbers of Butterfly Fish, Spiny Burrfish, Cowfish, Groupers, Seahorses, Lookdowns, Filefish, and occasional rarities. I have a Blue Angel about 3 inches long that I caught when it was less than an inch, 6 months ago while snorkeling in a NJ inlet. I've also got some Lookdowns and a Spiny Boxfish from last summer.

I really love Caribbean collecting, and take occasional trips to the Islands. I bring back a few fish, but you really need to know what you are doing, from where exactly to go, how to collect, the correct equipment (your aquarium nets are worthless), and how to maintain, pack, and transport the fish. Transportation is the biggest problem, especially since 9/11. The last Caribbean collecting trip I took was a year ago, to Jamaica during spring break. I managed to bring back a couple of fish, but it was tricky, with US airport security minutely examining my specialized collecting equipment on the way down, and Jamaican security my fish on the way back. US customs is not a problem if you enter through a designated port, like JFK and Newark, bring a declaration form, limit the number of fish to about 8 or fewer, and steer clear of corals, snails, and other possibly suspect inverts.

A

agilis

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Coral collecting is forbidden by law in every Caribbean nation that I am familiar with. This includes Jamaica, the Dutch ABC islands, Dominica, St.Lucia, Mexico, and Honduras. Coral collecting is also strictly forbidden in the Bahamas and in Turks & Caicos.

In addition, there are U.S. laws preventing the importation of corals without a special permit, and proof that the items being imported were legally collected in the country of origin.

I think this is the reason why Caribbean corals generally are not available from dealers. Even live rock is tightly restricted. Coral and seafan collecting in Florida can result in a whopping big fine, even jail. Fish collecting in Florida is permitted with a license anyone can easily obtain, but many areas are off limits because they are state or national parks.

Fish collecting is restricted or not permitted in most Caribbean nations. The old days of laissez faire attitudes are long gone. Overdevelopment and an exploding human population have turned what once seemed inexhaustable into rare commodities. On the other hand, all I need for tropical marine fish collecting in NJ/NY is some snorkeling equipment, a good collecting net, and a battery powered airpump to get the fish home.

dragonwrasse

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
agilis

Thanks for the great info!!! Do you mind showing the rope to some collecting rookies?

Josh and all others

I think this will be a lot of fun. I know you're probably not interested in fish, but I'm sure some LFS will let us trade them in for something. Also remember that we will be saving these fish and we don't have to hold back trying to catch as many as possible.

[ March 13, 2003, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: dragonwrasse ]

A

agilis

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I just typed out a long reply, which disappeared when I hit "add reply" after a "sorry, wrong password" message. I can't seem to retrieve that long post. If I can, I'll post it. If it's gone forever, I'll have to reply when I am less vexed with this technology.

A

agilis

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have always enjoyed collecting with other aquarists. My only reservation, and it is a serious one, is that some local collecting sites are in sensitive areas: close to houses, or small fragile ecosystems that can't take a lot of people pressure. Most aquarists are reasonable people, but there are a lot of exceptions. I took a group to the Caribbean on a collecting trip a few years ago, and a couple of folks made it an unpleasant experience.

In any event, local collecting is at least 5 months away, and in the meantime I'd be happy to share any information or answer questions, on this board, or through email for detailed topics.

Many local shops may be interested in a FEW good specimens of saleable fish. They are not, however, going to want your bucketful of Spotfin Butterflys. Seahorses are always in high demand, but have recently been afforded federal protection through the Endangered Species Act. Small Lookdowns are very popular, as are baby Trunkfish and Burrfish. In general, though, don't expect anyone to buy what you catch. Retailers stock fish in response to what customers want, and in quantities appropriate to expected turnover. Messing around with unordered stuff carried into the shop in a bucket by a hobbyist with unrealistic expectations is usually more trouble than it is worth.

It may seem that you are "doing a favor" for those fish that you rescue before they freeze to death, but in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter. My advise is to collect only what you personally can take care of, or what you know a friend definitely wants. Trying to transport or maintain more than a few fish can end in disaster. It's much better to return what you catch to the sea, and keep only those two or three fish for which you can really accept responsibility. Last summer, I caught several dozen seahorses; I kept two. I caught about 15 Spiny Boxfish; I kept one. I caught many, many Spotfin Butterflys, and released all of them, along with all the groupers, baby Barracudas, Cornetfish and filefish I caught.

You can't possibly be a thermal Noah's ark, and it is foolish to try. On the other hand, collecting your own tropical marine fish locally can add another dimension to your hobby. It's not really a money-saving and certainly not a money-making activity.

Caribbean or tropical Pacific collecting is another topic entirely, and I'd be happy to discuss my experience with anyone contemplating an exotic collecting trip.

dragonwrasse

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
agilis

I apologize if I sounded somewhat irresponsible. I would have made sure I know where the fish are going before I pull them out. I also understand that transporting the fish out of the water and safely into captivity requires a good deal of know-how, so I want to find out the info well in advance.

I would still like to try this out when the season comes. I personally wouldn't be disappointed if I don't get to take anything home. The experience will be worthwhile enough.

A

agilis

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am more than willing to share information with anyone interested in collecting aquarium fish locally or elsewhere.

I do not think anything Dragonwrasse wrote was irresponsible, and I apologize if what I wrote seemed critical. My intent was to suggest a realistic and moderate approach.

If anyone wants to discuss the topic of fish collecting, it would probably be best to email me through this board. Let me know in a post if the email process does not work. I answer emails within a few days, at most.

Easily Distracted

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agilis,
Your first post was right on. I could not have said it better. The first time you see a spotfin butterfly that looks so tropical and out of place here, you want to catch them all and have dilusions that everyone else will want them. The other thing to remember is that that butterfly or snowy grouper may not be the best addition to your reef. Also these fish are wild and you cannot expect them to come up to the surface and eat flake food from your hand. I hope to do some collecting this year, but I will try to be as selective as possible. I'll probably set up a separate tank also.

PS- The Great Rupert- Stop messing around and get certified already. :D

[ April 12, 2003, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: Easily Distracted ]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: