Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
So, it's been a couple of days since I last fed my eels their prawns & silversides. No biggie, not like they're starving big fat greedy piggies that they are.;)
I prepare their food as usual. Which means I mix a lid rods food in for the tang & clown. Defrost it, added the vitachem & garlic. No selcon this time, for got to order more.
Decided to help clown feed the anemonies since the poor thing is having to feed 4 now.;) Yes, my GS Maroon is running to all 4 anemone, but some times forgets to feed the Long Tenticle Purple one.
Well, I'm holding the bowl mixture outside the tank near the rim with 2 of the glass tops open , and with the gripper I am gripping a piece of prawn along with a small piece of silverside to feed the anemone when out of the blue the freaking snowflake jumps out of the tank, and grabs my left hand's thumb. Scared the biddigies out of me. I let out a scream as I'm shaking him off of my thumb. Stupid eel drops to the floor, now I have to get him up, and back into the tank. Would you believe it, it went right on eating like nothing ever happened.

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Wow. That is all there is to say, that sounds scary/cool/amazing that the thing went back to eating and didn't run and hide. I had an experience similar to this except with a wild eel in the Cayman Islands. (ie: the eel's head left the water to get bait and it got it and then went back under and just sat there waiting for me to feed it more on a rock jetty on the beach)

amazing animals, glad you and the eel are ok. :tongue1:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Thanks Educator!
Well, my crazy snowflake didn't just bring it's head out of the water. It brought half of it's body up, and out of the tank trying to reach into the bowl that I was holding which is how he got my thumb instead.LOL

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
I had the same thing happen to me when I had the 180 custom I had a snow flake and it grabbed my pinky I still have the scar on my hand to prove it. They are crazy by far. The wost eel I had the pleasure of keeping what the dragon eel. that was one nasty s o b. He would just lung toward any off in the tank. Would be a seen when I fed him live goldifsh that was awsom site.

darkdrako

Looks mean doesn't she!?
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Well being that I just purchased a snowflake eel I will have to remember not to leave any food near the rim of the tank when feeding! That had to be frantic and funny at the same time. I can just picture you whipping the eel around trying to shake it off!

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
how big s the eel? glad you two are ok
He's a good 2.5', and about 2 - 2.5" in thickness.

I have seen Wolf eels jump nearly out of the tank for food. Cool tank, BTW
This was the first time he ever came out that far. Never more then stuck his nose out of the water before. Thanks for the compliment.

Glad you're ok, and you do realize that this happened because you posted this just the other day:Murphy strikes again! :)

OMG Awibrandy, you could have hurt that poor eel, you should be more careful.. ;) Glad everyone is alright...
Thanks!
On a more serious note... if he broke the skin, make sure it's very well cleaned out and consider seeing a doctor. At the very least use a topical anti bacterial. The bacteria an eel can carry can be far worse than the bite itself.
Unfortunately I didn't read this last night. Fortunately I am fine.;)
I had the same thing happen to me when I had the 180 custom I had a snow flake and it grabbed my pinky I still have the scar on my hand to prove it. They are crazy by far. The wost eel I had the pleasure of keeping what the dragon eel. that was one nasty s o b. He would just lung toward any off in the tank. Would be a seen when I fed him live goldifsh that was awsom site.
I bet! Pretty sure you can barely contain yourself with anticipation for that day when your able to set up another large fowlr.;)

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
and all i can think of is "thank god the dogs and cats weren't involved" LMAO!!!

You and me both!LOL

Can you just imagine trying to get Wild Yava away.:tongue1: It was bad enough that no one would listen, and hand me a darn towel.:irked: Jeez, I had to somehow get him up off the floor with just a net that I had not put away.

fripclaksid

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yeah snowflakes are awesome i remember, whenever i put my hand in my tank it would taste my fingers. They're characters!! That's the first I heard of an eel jumping out of a tank so eat. The surprise never ends... hehe gl!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: