dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
no the pump dont have be same as the flow rate bigger pump and ball vavle and this way later on if u want to run other stuf like a chiller u can run it of the same pump

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
If the pump is rated at 300gph it's 300 gph at the head .For example if the outlet is 48 inches from the pump when installed you will not have 300 gph at the out let.Every inch and elbow the water passes reduces water pressure.

amatta1989

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
thankyou all for your input, i think im gonna go with the 300gph over flow box and a 450gph return pump. i am planning on running a phosban reactor as well. would 450gph return be enouph? the top of the main tank is less than 3 feet above the sump

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Will you have any ball valves, true unions, 90's, 45's, LocLine, couplers, reducers, or other pvc fittings in the return line? If so, what? Each of those fittings adds backpressure and will reduce the flow accordingly.

Russ

amatta1989

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Will you have any ball valves, true unions, 90's, 45's, LocLine, couplers, reducers, or other pvc fittings in the return line? If so, what? Each of those fittings adds backpressure and will reduce the flow accordingly.

Russ

2 true union valves, 1 for the controlling return flow rate and 1 off of the return for the phosban reactor
1 T for the phosban from the return
and a u shape tube for coming back into the tank.

no reducers, everything is 3/4 inch

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Using a pump with a 450gph flow at zero head will be fine. It sounds like you're planning to use a Mag 5. I'm still confused about why you're only using a 300gph overflow? That is half the flow rate of most smaller tanks. I would use a 1" overflow yielding 600 gph.

My reason for this is the return flow in your tank (not including powerheads) will most likely be less than a MaxiJet 1200 (298gph). Taking into consideration the pvc fittings you listed, the vertical lift from sump to tank, you're at approximately the equivalent of 5' of head pressure. If you're using a Mag 5, as I suspect, the reduced flow based on back pressure will be ~250gph. That's an extremely low turnover (5x).

Russ

amatta1989

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Using a pump with a 450gph flow at zero head will be fine. It sounds like you're planning to use a Mag 5. I'm still confused about why you're only using a 300gph overflow? That is half the flow rate of most smaller tanks. I would use a 1" overflow yielding 600 gph.

My reason for this is the return flow in your tank (not including powerheads) will most likely be less than a MaxiJet 1200 (298gph). Taking into consideration the pvc fittings you listed, the vertical lift from sump to tank, you're at approximately the equivalent of 5' of head pressure. If you're using a Mag 5, as I suspect, the reduced flow based on back pressure will be ~250gph. That's an extremely low turnover (5x).

Russ

i wasn't sure if 300 gph was enouph flow but since its not ill go with the 600gph over flow. so then what return flow rate would need with the same fittings and phosban reactor?

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
i wasn't sure if 300 gph was enouph flow but since its not ill go with the 600gph over flow. so then what return flow rate would need with the same fittings and phosban reactor?

If you plumb a single union ball valve into the return line, you can go with:

Mag 9.5
Marineland Euro Utility Pump 3000
Eheim 1262 Water Pump
Sedra 7000

My choice (cost not withstanding) would be the Eheim and then the Marineland 3000

Russ

amatta1989

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
If you plumb a single union ball valve into the return line, you can go with:

Mag 9.5
Marineland Euro Utility Pump 3000
Eheim 1262 Water Pump
Sedra 7000

My choice (cost not withstanding) would be the Eheim and then the Marineland 3000

Russ

thanks for all of your help russ and everyone else that chimed in!. That's why i posted on here to get help and do it right haha.
thanks again, alex

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: