Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
dont look at it in a negative way samster there trying to help you out in there own ways. from what i see they state the bad to help you get better. so remember there only trying to help you better your tank. lets see some pics.

samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
not mad not offended just wanted it to be more on the topic. The guys that help thank you and the guys that think my tank will flood don't get offend when i say it wont. if it does then i admit i was wrong but even if my pump did fail it would have been replaced asap. if i was on the spot of failed pump i also have a ball valve in place between the PVC tubing below which could be closed. the water pressure there is hard on it, i understand but my check valve isnt plastic so i do have trust on it. if i was to run it without a check valve i would have been retarded. if it was plastic i would have been scared. so i did do it for safty and trust me if somthing wants to go, its going to go. my last tank my check vavle lasted longer then the tank itself i had a custom 120 gallon tall tank and the pressure of the water and wear from salt caused the whole front glass to come down lucky noone was standin in front of the tank. so if it was meant to flood it would mabe u guys think im taking chances but im around to check on it from time to time i think the check vavle can atleast hold a day without failing godforbit if my pump does fail and i agree u guys telling me for my own good and thanks but i don't think theres anything i can do at the time nows since the tank is drilled on bottom and runnin for about 3 months i just want to know best possible way to improve water flow now and i think its the only thing to do now before a bigger tank. This is my practice tank so it's a lesson tank and i think know how i should do my plumbing on my next one already from differnt setups i've seen thanks guys.

now back to PH's once again lol. 1st the more flow the messier the things are in the tank? rocks shaking? sand flying? is a 400gph PH to much? i doubt u can have to much flow in ur tank so i want areas with high flow med flow and softer flows for differnt degrees of inverts, corals, and fish u know kinda like own lil zones. its kinda hard for u guys to see the flow i have. i moved the PH around all the time to test it and the way its placed now is shooting at the back wall behind the rocks and tunnels thur the LR so i do see it circulating all around in a U -shape but it slows down after the front middle of tank. My orignal thought was the inlet flow will push that area of water to the PH and or upwards to the top back with current to the over flow but the area around the inlet juss seems brown and icky? thats why i wanted to know wha i could do mabe a power head 5" above the sand hitting at the inlet of the return?? would u guys think that would keep that area a bit cleaner? thanks in advance once again -=)

ezee

Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
Responses

All,

Wow, I think you guys are being kinda harsh on each other. I know that there was a thread that just discussed negative posts but it seems to me (and I do admit that I am newcomer to this board) that the problem is more how people seem to be communicating rather than the quality of knowledge. If someone says something incorrect another member can always correct them but if people are inappropriate to each other, the board can get uncomfortable. I could be wrong but I figured I might make an observation about this particular situation.

Thanks,

E

Pseudo

OG Member
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
If you want cheap, go cheap. Get a Hagen Aquaclear 802 used on RC or someplace and make a closed loop with some 1/2" PVC pipe and focus it where you want it. Thats 600gph with a head loss of 200GPH give or take. No powerhead in the tank and problem solved.

If you want ultimate wave action, get a Tunze 6060 and call it a day. Problem solved.

It is now time to make a newbie forum for this board.

hth,

Kasei

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
samster,

for cheap flow you can modify a couple of MJ1200 power heads to disperse the water in a wide path. the mod includes cutting the return tube off. a few people here have done this and reported good results. It will give you increased flow without moving stuff around the tank. and as you always should, make sure to use the guards that come with the powerhead so no fish can get stuck to the intake.

when you upgrade to your next tank I strongly urge you post your plumbing questions. for the record check valves do fail, and wear out. they should be used as a secondary means of redundancy, not the first line of defense to prevent the entire tank from draining.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
samster said:
my check valve isnt plastic so i do have trust on it.

Can you please tell me what your check valve is made out of?

DO NOT take this in a negative way at all, or get offended,

but from what information you have posted it seems you have some problems to correct. that's what we can help you with.
you have to realize these are some serious problems so when you post a question about flow and get questioned in return about your set up it's because we see more serious problems than the flow in your tank.

if you like we can start from the begining, but not right now it's too late for that.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Cali chill your advice has and will always be extremely helpful. Sometimes when we are talking to eachother in type not words it's very dificult to relay and understend what is relayed. You have helped me and others with alot of stuff and I welcome your help in the future. I only wish I could help as much as you and alot of other people here at MR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: