nycdominicanreef

one frag at a time
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Anemones shouldnt be in reef tanks? ok they can sting but how do i get em to stay put, (i want a green and rose bubble tip in my new 75 upgrade)
Will have a mixed reef.
Any tips/pointers to make em stay in one spot?

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
There are no real tricks. You can try to build a separate rock structure at one end of the tank and hope the anemone(s) will like it there and stay put. The truth is they will do what they want to and can cause havoc. Even if they stay put, they will divide and slowly take over. You can mix in some leathers and other softies and mushrooms etc, but stonies are really not as good idea--even if it seems to be working for a bit. I have a 150g. system that was 1/2 dedicated to RBTA's , then it was 75% dedicated, we are up about 90% as we speak.

nycdominicanreef

one frag at a time
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
dedicated huh?

when u say dedicated, u mean they cloned and spread or u just got rid of ur coral?

There are no real tricks. You can try to build a separate rock structure at one end of the tank and hope the anemone(s) will like it there and stay put. The truth is they will do what they want to and can cause havoc. Even if they stay put, they will divide and slowly take over. You can mix in some leathers and other softies and mushrooms etc, but stonies are really not as good idea--even if it seems to be working for a bit. I have a 150g. system that was 1/2 dedicated to RBTA's , then it was 75% dedicated, we are up about 90% as we speak.

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Anemones shouldnt be in reef tanks? ok they can sting but how do i get em to stay put, (i want a green and rose bubble tip in my new 75 upgrade)
Will have a mixed reef.
Any tips/pointers to make em stay in one spot?

Well, the key to getting BTAs to settle seems to be that they like their feet in a nice, secure hole. One that's integral to the rock, not one formed by several different rocks. At least, these seem to be what they tend to settle into.

Once they're nice and settled, they don't seem to roam much, assuming that they're getting good conditions in that spot. Of course, when they split, all bets are off.

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only thing about anemones is that they can and do move. other than that, they are like coral- coral can and will "take over" as well. you'll eventually have to frag your coral, and you'll eventually have to sell off some offspring anemones.

they do grow pretty fast though.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
they will move, my gbta was on one rock for almost a year and finally decided to take a walk, my system was focused minly for nems and clowns, ended up getting rid of all my sps because of the future walk of death the nems will cause, i do have alot of zoa's, acans though and chalices which all can be wiped out also, zoa's best chance though and where acans are dont see themgetting bothered, and i have a separate rock island for them which doesnt matter

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
i have four anenome in mix reef rbta/bta/ rock and carpet and got the green bta on the on the way thanks to rj (seascape)i dont have too much troubble with them except for one that been the move since i put it in my tank all i did was put them in corner of my tank with not much stuff but every ones tank is different so i dont know if u will have the same luck as me but they are a nice addition to any tank at least i like them hey i am in the bx allerton ave if want to see my tank ur more than welcome

Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Cloned and spread forcing me to get rid of coral. people also don't realize how big RBTA's can get.

24 inch RBTA

I love it though.....

Attachments

• Nemos Home.jpg
    Nemos Home.jpg
    441.4 KB · Views: 68

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Something else people dont realize- when an 15 inch RBTA clones itself it does not become two 9 inch RBTA's, it becomes two 15 inch RBTA's!

I have a beautiful RBTA that splits at least twice a year. Fortunately mine stays put and I have always been able to find homes for the clones.

I also have a HUGE carpet that I wish I could get rid of, but my wife loves it. It has never moved, but I have lost several fish to it over the years.

Alfred

Cloned and spread forcing me to get rid of coral. people also don't realize how big RBTA's can get.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: