Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I really want my tank to have a nice blue hue to it, and I noticed that alot of people use the phoenix but IMO it is just a bit too blue. I want a bulb that on an ARO 250w ballast will have the look of the phoenix 14k's except about 10-20% whiter. Anyone know of any bulbs with that look that will make colors pop and grow at a good rate?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Ushio 14k are quite a bit whiter than Phoenix, but I have never seen them lit on an ARO ballast. Personally, I love and use them on Ice Cap ballasts, but for many they are not blue enough. I think if you are an SPS and clam oriented guy you will like them. LPS and Zoas less so.
Yea I am more of an LPS/zoa guy but I will have some acros, monti caps and birdsnest as well. I am thinking of buying a 2 bulb retrofit VHO to mount up into the canopy with actinics, would the tank look more blue than a phoenix with 2 VHO actinics you think? I am really into getting my greens and bright colors to shine.

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
i got the ushio 14k they r nice bulbs they r def whiter than the pheonix 14k and i also have supplement lighting tho actinic and leds if u dont have supplement light the ushio might be a little white thats what alot of people on here say

D

dayz9

Rating - 100%
250   0   0
I use venture 10k's in my frag tanks they look really nice with or w/out actinic. I also use phoenix 14k's in my display. My oregon tort prefers the venture for growth and color, it turns a richer, darker blue. Some of my other acros get a nicer color and growth out of the phoenix. I'm experimenting right now on a blue tip acro echinata, I'm curous which light will bring out it's blues better. The venture bulbs give off a slightly less blue than the phoenix in my opinion. However, in my experience, much more blue than any other 10k I've seen.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: