lsher

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi All -

Looking for some advice ... I usually dispose of my dirty salt water in the street. Not sure if this is the right thing. I don't send it down my drains as I'm worried about corrosion from the salt.

Recently I've noticed some cracking in my street pavement. Not sure if its from the saltwater.

What do people do?? Thanks for any advice.

Lloyd

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Flush it down the toilet. Do NOT put it in the drain in the street, that goes to your local watershed.

Do not flush any algae, grasses or caulerpa down the drain. Always put them in a ziploc bag, put in your freezer for 24 hours, and then throw it in the garbage.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

johnny roastbeef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
All mine goes down the drain. I figure if the plumbing can take what my teenagers are putting into the sewerage system, then a little salt water would be a welcome change for the pipes.

Rating - 100%
164   0   0
Flush it down the toilet. Do NOT put it in the drain in the street, that goes to your local watershed.

Do not flush any algae, grasses or caulerpa down the drain. Always put them in a ziploc bag, put in your freezer for 24 hours, and then throw it in the garbage.

Good points Josh. I will now have nightmares of having to put a cuc in my toilet to clean up algae :scratchch

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0

Josh this doesn't really work for most on the island since many private homes use cesspools, so dumping into the toilet is just 10 feet under ground already. Same with the algae, once into the cesspool with raw sewage and no light most algae will die off in a few days.

bizarrecorals

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, all the chemicals we put down to the drain, your worry about marine salt?, becareful from pouring the water on pavement, once when the salt drys up, it can be extremely slippery, I learned that the hard way!

nminunni

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
+1 for not sending algae down the drain. -1 for worrying about corrosion. Most major water companies add chemicals to coat the insides of piping to avoid corrosion of metals within the piping.

Pootie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
down the toilet (it's funny how when you pour large amounts of water down a toilet, it flushed itself).

But as far as on the sidewalk. Just think about how much salt is put down to melt snow n ice in the winter.. I'm pretty sure the "cracks" and from permafrost. Water getting in the nooks n crannies and freezing and expanding on colder days , then melting on a warmer day.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
i throw it on the neighbors lawn. it kills his precious grass then in the summer theres a big brown spot. hes a jerk tho. ive had alot of issues with him lol. warm water on grass in cold weather = bad grass in the summer

I cant believe you do that.

Pootie:
down the toilet (it's funny how when you pour large amounts of water down a toilet, it flushed itself).
That is how a Toilet works..It uses gravity and then vacuum to flush, that is why your toilet works even when power goes out.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: