oscar139

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys i was reading the other day and i came across this awesome looking anemone called the bubble anemone. Can yall give me some advice about keeping them like what is the minimum size tank, i have a 55 gallon by the way, how well they do with fish and inverts etc. Thanks guys!

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Are you talking about a bubble tip anemone? (Also known as a BTA?) .. these are good starter anemones, but by "starter" I don't mean "you can get one if you're inexperienced and your tank isn't mature".. all anemones are difficult and need lots of light.

What are your water params, what's your lighting, skimmer, etc?

Those questions will help. Be careful; the 'nems can (and often do) move. My first BTA got sucked into my powerhead and essentially nuked the entire tank.

oscar139

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i am talking about the BTA's well i don't know the specifics but my tank is cycled i have had it running for 2 months, i am saving up for the adequate lighting system, do you have any suggestions for lighting? Also i have the octopus protein skimmer.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
BTA also need to be fed or else they will die, just wait until you tank has been setup for 6 months and u should have no problems keeping that anenome in the tank. I myself am a little confused with the lighting but i have a coralife light which 4x45 watts. I know there are two different types of lighting maybe someone else can clarify this

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Yes i am talking about the BTA's well i don't know the specifics but my tank is cycled i have had it running for 2 months, i am saving up for the adequate lighting system, do you have any suggestions for lighting? Also i have the octopus protein skimmer.

It's great that you're saving up and taking your time. You'll get a lot of different opinions on this topic, but for a 55 you'll either want to go with (at least) a 4 bulb T-5 unit (with individual reflectors) or a 2x 150 watt metal halide.

Another must buy is a good test kit. API sells the reef master series, and that's a good starter kit to buy. Not an option, but a MUST have. You need to be able to test your water.

Which Octo do you have? Do you have a sump or is it a hang on back?

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Once settled, BTA are great! Keep in mind, a BTA may lose or gain the "bubbles" in a new system.

Most fish stay away from anemones(except clowns of course) and the BTA sting is not strong enough to serious injure a fish who may accidentally come into contact with a tentacle(as they do get pretty long after a while)

You are fine with a nem or two in your 55.

BTA tentacle will sting any coral within reach, which becomes a problem only if your BTA moves and settles within tentacle range of another coral.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
What kind of clown fish?
Not all clowns will pair with a bta.
I have a gbta and my false percs took a month before they hosted it. Now they never leave it.

There are two main types green bta and rose bta. The green are found in deeper water than the rose. Therefore the green would benefit from more direct feeding. The rbta lives higher and would benefit from more intense lighting.This may guide your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: