How do you like your skimmate?

• Total voters

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
I understood it be that dry skimming would get you a dark, smelly, and sludge like skimmate.

Wet skimming on the other hand would get you a significantly lighter, less smelly, and pourable skimmate.

Most of the time I feel like I'm skimming inbetween the two like what Jim described.
-Kris

Kelly

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I use a Barr Aquatic skimmer set to skim wet. It makes about a gallon of skimate a day, which is tea colored and thin, it also smells like death when I pour it down the sink...

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
House of Laughter said:
OK, well, what consitutues wet? You can pour it? or you can see through it?

I mean, mine is dark green usually adnd stinks to high heaven so much that when I dump it in the sink in the basement my wife on the first floor thinks my son needs a diaper change :)

But I am not able to see though it it's so green

Is the different that obvious? of is wet and dry a little different?

House

n i thought i was the only one gettin a medium to dark green skimmate whewwwww... load of my head lolz... everyone was saying that there skimmate is brown and im sitten here wondering why my skimmate is green....:iamwithst :type:

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
My skimmate didn't turn green until I started adding in spray dried phyto. Also once I added Cheato to my tank I always pull out green skimmate now. Could it be phytoplankton getting caught in our skimmers that make it green or am I way off base here?

nanchil

Crawling Reefer.
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
Skimmer

Picture 379.jpgI have a seaclone. The skimmate is dark green. I guess it is doing its work.

Last edited:

samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
either im color blind or mine is dark green also -=) i notices someone stated photoperiod? is it true? i find that my skimmer skimms atleast double or triple the amount it would at night then in the day? if its true should u only feed alil before the lights go out? i tried wet skimming but its a hassle to put in newly mixed water every day or other day, i just keep it semi wet/dry? wet enough to pour out? but not to wet?

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: