Rating - 100%
99   0   0
I have some zoo's in my BC14 G - parms are fine- it appears that some of the polyps are shriveled up almost look burnt and some not opening.

1. Do Crabs eat zoo's?

2. Had a bubble algae sac bust the other day would this cause the zoo's to close or affect them?

What else should I be looking for?

N

NationalCoralRegistry

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
the first thing I look at is iodine/iodide levels and just enough flow to move the skirts around.when the Iodine levels are good the polyps will definitely show it.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Well, flow being poor at best is not acceptable in any tank, but especially in a reef tank- every type of coral likes different levels of flow BUT you need to have good flow for any of them to flourish as well as to circulate you water within the tank. You should not dose anything unless you are testing for it regularly with reliable test kits (Salifert,Elos, etc.)<-- there are a bunch of very good companies just used those as an example although I would not use API just my opinion on kits go with what you feel comfortable with and trust.

N

NationalCoralRegistry

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Iodine/Iodide is not an option its a necessity. soft corals and skimming deplete this necessary buffer. tip------ never dose anything you cant test for. don't trust the label. buy a test kit when you pick up the IO then test add and do it again the next day till you get your levels up. don't do it all in one day. small steps. it ran low slowly and thats how it has to come back.:spin:

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
88   0   0
<-- there are a bunch of very good companies just used those as an example although I would not use API just my opinion on kits go with what you feel comfortable with and trust.

Sorry for hijacking this thread. Why API test kit isn't recommended? I have been use API for my ammonia, PH and nitrate testings. They are fine.

Maybe other tests such as mag, cal, iodine, pho need to be more acurate as far as the result goes?

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
Sorry for hijacking this thread. Why API test kit isn't recommended? I have been use API for my ammonia, PH and nitrate testings. They are fine.

Maybe other tests such as mag, cal, iodine, pho need to be more acurate as far as the result goes?

imo, api is fine for alk and cal. but ph, phos.,and nitrate are not accurate. haven't test for ammonia nor nitrite in years so i don't have an opinion on those.
i use api for alk and cal. salifert for mag. pinpoint digital monitors for nitrate and salinity. digital ph meter. haven't found a good/reliable/accurate phos. test kit so i don't even bother testing for phos.... until i get the hana meter.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: