jdnumis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Do I need a uv sterlizer for a reef tank and any suggestions on lighting? I was looking into the led lighting which is beautiful.

Thank You, James

jdnumis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I plan on getting a 125 reef tank, with assorted fish. LED is expensive, any other suggestions on lighting? Thank you all for the advice. I will get a UV sterilizer. I plan on running a sump as well. Will the UV affect it? I getting a protein skimmer as well.

Thank you all

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
Get 2 250w mh system with 14k bulbs cheaper them led great if your going to keep sps or you can go with T5 like a tek light .
But it all depends on what your going to keep sps lps or both. the uv will do fine with a sump . As for a skimmer go big like a msx300.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
In my opinion a UV sterilizer is not necessary. It is debatable whether or not they even make a difference.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
theres alot that goes into a large tank. Large tanks cost a lot of money especially reefs. in my opinion...

a fish only tank can have basic equipment.
a reef tank no

i would suggest looking on the forsale forumns and try to pick up a full setup for a nice price. just my opinion! Gluck with the build

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
It is not suggested that a new tank have a UV light on it. The idea of a cycle is to grow bacteria/s. The job of a UV light is to kill bacteria.

The issue with them is they cannot differentiate between good & bad bacteria, they kill whatever bacteria is in the water that passes before the light, for as long as you run the UV.

Excellent husbandry practices including QT'ing all fish & corals before adding them into the tank can be equally effective (IMO) against introducing something to your tank.

If you do end up convinced that you want to use a UV - after reading all of the pros & cons - I would suggest you not add it until the tank is at least a few months old :)

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Dude, slow down.

Gochiguy. CLARIFY a few things for us will you.

1. What does assorted colorful coral entail? We are talking do you want SPS, LPS, Softies, or mixed.

2. Lighting... do you want to build your own LED's or buy from a manufacturer? What's your budget?-- UNTIL WE KNOW THIS we can't really assess your options.

Your selections are MH (Metal Halide), T5 Lighting, or PC (Power Compact-- I assume this is what you mean by basic).

3. UV Sterilizer go with what KathyC said above--- because she's right.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I have a UV. I use it when I think things are awry. I advise using it full time on a QT tank, and only when necessary on a display tank.

If I have a disease outbreak, a cyano outbreak, or just generally think something is wrong, I turn it on. I don't honestly know if it does anything, but the placebo effect seems to help me sleep at night.

jdnumis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
SPS, LPS, Softies, or mixed. I am very new to this and not sure what these abbreviate to. I was looking into getting assorted: Denro
Zoanthids
Leathers
Xenia
Mushrooms
Acans
Chalice
Torch
palys

I was looking into buying LED's from a manufacturer. Is that a good idea?

Thanks for being patient with me and all the advice

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: