ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
what in the world is making my fish after having them for 3-4 years sore out of my tank? not even kidding me, the fish were landing a good 4-5 feet away from the tank. its a 72g, water par is fine expect phosphate. tank is around 4 years old, and its a reef with a good 90-100lbs of rock, live sand, about 10-15 corals ect... feed them normal times, my light is on a timer so they know its tank to get up and time to hide. a few weeks ago my female pregnet clown jumped out of my tank and almost hit me. thank god i was there and threw her back in, later that day another clown jumped out, i threw him back in. over night one of my other females jumped out and saldy i could not save her:grumpy: then a week went by and it stopped, then my monster algae blenny juped no joke about 7 foot away from the tank. i dont know when he plunged out but he was all hard and gross:irked: then a few days later my one fish, (never could remember what it was called, it was about 3 inches, bright purple, yellow line from face to tail, then purple again) Take a guess!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead: . what gives? i got a protector on it now so they cant anymore but after 4 years why are they jumping??? do they love me so much they want to give me a hug :hug: or are they japanese kamikaze pilots??? :tank:

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Ah yes, the inevitable... nothing about stray voltage mentioned for months and now every problem will be stray voltage...

Generally I've found that fish will go to the top of the tank (and possibly jump) if the O2 levels in the tank are low. Try increasing your surface agitation and see if they continue to try jumping.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Ah yes, the inevitable... nothing about stray voltage mentioned for months and now every problem will be stray voltage...

Generally I've found that fish will go to the top of the tank (and possibly jump) if the O2 levels in the tank are low. Try increasing your surface agitation and see if they continue to try jumping.
No need for smart ass comments we are all trying to help each other here.I would care less if his fish live or die i don't even know the guy.

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
i have that coralife titanium probe in the tank. very basic fish in it, 5 clowns, royal gramma, flame angel, hippo, checkerboard wrasse, bullet goby, mandarin, constructor goby and a pink spot luther goby, i have not added a fish in over a year or two. all the fish were together awhile back when it was a 55 switched to the 72g. no one is at all aggressive. as i said, i have a protector on top of the tank again(the glass canopys) so no one jumps anymore. no one even hung out at the top of the tank, i just kept getting the random fish jump every now and then. i just wanted to know why they would be doing this.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Oh, but sometimes there is a need. :party:

I do care if his fish live, which is why I made a suggestion other than the one that has been popping up lately.
In this case there is no need for that kind of comment.I read the post carfully and made a suggestion just like you did.There is no where in the post the guy said the fish was hovering at the water surface suggesting there is low oxygen in the water as you suggested.He later said there is a tank cover and a probe,and the fish is still trying to jump occasionally.:groupflip

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
In this case there is no need for that kind of comment.I read the post carfully and made a suggestion just like you did.There is no where in the post the guy said the fish was hovering at the water surface suggesting there is low oxygen in the water as you suggested.He later said there is a tank cover and a probe,and the fish is still trying to jump occasionally.:groupflip

The comment wasn't directed at you. It was a general comment. That said... there's a Carly Simon song that may be about you...

I made a suggestion based on experience, with the information at hand, not another thread that was posted recently.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Ryan, Mike NY has been reefing for a very long time. I'd listen to him. Won't hurt to rule out the stray voltage theory.;) What's the worse that can happen? You find out that it is not.yeayyyyyy You move on to the next possibillity. You find out that it is,:(, but solve the problem.:)
I know you have the glass tops back on to stop them from jumping out of the tank. But now you are restricting the light from penetrating, and the natural gas exchange. How about looking into a netting cover?

I bet your fish just love you that much.:hug:

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Ryan, Mike NY has been reefing for a very long time. I'd listen to him. Won't hurt to rule out the stray voltage theory.;) What's the worse that can happen? You find out that it is not.yeayyyyyy You move on to the next possibillity.
thanks you Awi.......many problems in reefing are difficult to find the source and so there is a process of elimination....stray voltage being one possible cause.....rule it out and move on to the next. I suggested it because it was a cause in my tank many years ago.

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
well isent a titanium probe suppost to stop this? mine is like a year old, could it go bad after awhile? i actually took the glass canopy top off and its open again and so far so good, im actually just thinking about buying a whole canopy because i always wanted one and that should help. my oxygen levels im not sure if they are or not, fish seem very happy and never breathing hard. its been a solid week and no one jumped. then again no one ever hung out at the top of the tank so i dont, ill keep my eyes open.

reseter5

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
i can tell you about stray voltage... 2 days ago i was mixing a new batch of saltwater.. put my hand in the bucket to move the powerhead and "whack" ... damn that hurt.. come to find out there was a very finy fray on the wire where it met the powerhead and only got stray voltage when it was moved a little... i know exactly how fish would feel...woooh

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: