bartmalave

"Starting Over"
Vendor
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
as of 3 weeks ago i ran into ich, i dose with kick ick did water chage. now all my fish are dead with the exception of one goby??????? everything looks good with tank so have no idea what is going on ?????? my nemos lured at the to and bottom of tank and other fish where in middle. here is what im looking at : 55 gal tank with 15 gal refu, 80lbs. of live sand on main tank, about 40lbs. in refu, cheato and live rock in refu, about 82lbs of live rock on main, have polys, sofeties coral in main tank, using t5 lighting, phosban reactor, mrc skimmer for 125 gal with rio 1700 pump, quite ones 3000 for main tank..............stock have 1. mandarin and i1. goby left, 1 emeral, about 80 nass snails 2. large zebra snails 6. hermit crabs........... water parrameters are as follows ph 8.2, amonia 0 ppm, nitrite 0 ppm, nitrate 0 ppm, alk 14dkh, phos 0.5, cal 280, working on cal and alk, salt1.022. any ideas please help did a lot to my tank to get this problem?? any ideas would be appreciated tank pics included:

Attachments

• SAM_1780.jpg
    SAM_1780.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 139
  • SAM_1781.jpg
    SAM_1781.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 138

bizarrecorals

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my personal opinion, dosn't matter when the bottle of medication says is "reef safe", I don't think is right to use it in a reef tank, I know a lot of folks used it and had great success with it, but your adding chemicals that arn't meant for a reef enviorment, did you do w/c or add carbon to remove the medicine after treatment? Most medication turns toxic after a short period of time if not removed properly. Since you don't have any fish now, maybe try to set up a quarentine tank, treat the fish in the quaratine w/ a light dose of copper, watch the condition of the fish for 3-4 weeks before introducing it in to the main tank. It'll cost a little more to set up a 10 gallon QT, but it can save a lot problems in the long run, once again, avoid using "ANY" medication in a reef tank.

bizarrecorals

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another thing, adding pure garlic in to your food will enhance the immune system in your fish that will allow them to fight off the ick by it self.

bartmalave

"Starting Over"
Vendor
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
i did add garlic and vitamin to food also raised temp to no avail. i did it want to add chem but last resort. i was setting up a 5gal quarantine but cant get a filter do u know of one tryis a small fresh water filter no good thanks for input

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Bart,

What were the inhabitants before the plague? not withstanding the health of the fish, I have found that 55g reef tanks almost always are just a little too small to maintain decent bioloads and a stable reef tank. I think that the 4 foot dimension is deceiving and often leads to a tang or two and then some more fish on top. Stress is a huge factor in the size tank (again, this is just an observation, nothing empirically scientific on a 55g).

Would be curious what you stocked with before the deaths.

House

bizarrecorals

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-did you use liquid garlic? you're better off cutting a garlic clove and soak the food (mysis) in it for a few days in the fridge, is more efficient, I literally tried all liquid garlic, nothing shows better results than pure garlic clove.
-sounds like you had a f/w tank before this, becareful with rasing the temp in a reef tank, by rasing the temp in a saltwater tanks dosn't really help to eradicate the problem, might make it worse.
- with a five gallon tank, you can use a regular f/w filter, check the water frequent, change the water frequent, ammonia will spike, you can always take the water from your main tank, QT one fish at a time, don't rush.

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
bart hang in there buddy in this hobby there is always up and down with out answers some time even if there nothing wrong with ur water u may have added frag with something on it or what ever if ur tank was not smaller than mine i would give two of the fish out my tank to help u start up again

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
When i first started this hobby in 2001 with fellow reefer MrBlik, he had a 55 - yellow tang, foxface, blue lobster and a goby. Tang was less than 2" - 6 months into it, the tang killed everything that went in and well as all other inhabitants except the lobster of course.

I would stay away from tangs or fox faces etc and try and stick with things like wrasses, firefish - generally smaller fish.

Wish i could offer you more sound reasons, but I just think it's the tank size and what you're choosing to put into it.

Good luck and hope it works out for you.

House

bizarrecorals

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bart,

What were the inhabitants before the plague? not withstanding the health of the fish, I have found that 55g reef tanks almost always are just a little too small to maintain decent bioloads and a stable reef tank. I think that the 4 foot dimension is deceiving and often leads to a tang or two and then some more fish on top. Stress is a huge factor in the size tank (again, this is just an observation, nothing empirically scientific on a 55g).

Would be curious what you stocked with before the deaths.

House

I've seen people with crazy nanos loaded w/ fish and corals that stayed in great condition for years and are still up and running, stress may be a factor, not the size of the tank, thats just from my observation, and if you look at the picture, his tank is no where near overloaded that will disturb the bioload, other than the calcium, his water perm. is pretty darn good.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
I would agree but how many of those nano's have tangs in them? When I said bioload, I wasn't referring to organics, I was referring to space and the stressors those limitations cause based on the type of fish people put into that space. For some reason, 55g tanks never seem to be as successful as frequently as their slightly larger cousin the 75g (only 6" more depth)

I realize this is not a rule-based observation, just something I have been watching over the past 9 yrs in the hobby.

I think what you should read from my response is tread cautiously and slowly with the types of fish and speed by which you add them to the system - then again, this is a good practice for any sized tank.

House

I've seen people with crazy nanos loaded w/ fish and corals that stayed in great condition for years and are still up and running, stress may be a factor, not the size of the tank, thats just from my observation, and if you look at the picture, his tank is no where near overloaded that will disturb the bioload, other than the calcium, his water perm. is pretty darn good.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I know that when you added the so called "reef safe ich med" you did as a last resort! MANY of us have done so at one point or another while new to the hobby, and desperate.;( It happens, we learn, and we move on.

What is it that you are calling "black plague"? Is there something going on in your tank now?

bizarrecorals

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree but how many of those nano's have tangs in them? When I said bioload, I wasn't referring to organics, I was referring to space and the stressors those limitations cause based on the type of fish people put into that space. For some reason, 55g tanks never seem to be as successful as frequently as their slightly larger cousin the 75g (only 6" more depth)

I realize this is not a rule-based observation, just something I have been watching over the past 9 yrs in the hobby.

I think what you should read from my response is tread cautiously and slowly with the types of fish and speed by which you add them to the system - then again, this is a good practice for any sized tank.

House

listen, I'm just trying to help Bart out with more realistic solutions and I did read your post clearly, when people in this industry refer to bioloads, it means oraganics and theres no other ways around that. I'm sure everyone in MR would love to have a 10,000 gallon tank to keep their livestocks happy, but due to financial issues or space limitations at their homes, it can't be done, and you really think any fish will be more comfy in a 75 gallon rather than a 55? lol, You just took the darn fish out of the ocean!!!!!, once again, I'm just sharing my opinions and I don't agree to yours, but thats the whole purpose of this forum right? please don't take anything persoanlly.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
+1. I one time brought a Achilles tang for my 55g tank the tang was big but I loved the way it looked so any way back then I use to acclimate fish by pourin water out the bag and dumpin water inside , to make story short I caught a bad case of ick killed all my fish, this site has great info with alot of members that give advice , just read and ask ?s I'm in the bx I can stop by and help u out just shoot me a pm :)

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: