tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
hey eddie,

imo, $680 plus shipping is way too expensive for a 1/5 hp. i paid less than that for a 1/3 hp. i think this is a better one....and it's on sale for $500 and free shipping!!!

https://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4900+13127&pcatid=13127

you want a better controller than the built in thermostat. most of them don't work as well as a separate controller. this one comes with a ranco controller.

better yet.... if you tank is in a room with a window, you're better off getting a higher btu's window a/c. it's more efficient, cost less, more reliable and everyone in the room will be cool also.
the chiller will cool only the tank and unless you duct the exhaust to the outside, it spits out hot air back into the room......you will be hot. plus it's very inefficient that way, the more hot air it spits back, the higher the ambient temp., the more the chiller runs, the more heat spitting back into the room....catch 22!!!!
trust me, my equipment room gets pretty hot in the summer. i have to run an extra fan to vent the equipment room which then heats up the basement and then i have to crank up the basement a/c....made a big mistake with that design....didn't duct the exhaust outside the house.

hope that helps.-tom

Last edited:

cthoughts1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
402   0   0
Tom, I wouldn't pay that much for it. I'm getting a deal from a friend for $300 on it, inclusive of the pump to run it and its only a 6 months old. Anyhow, I can leave the ac on all day in the summer (long story) or else I would. I'm just looking for something reliable that works as it should. I also like how compact this chiller is (less than 10 inches wide).. it also says its rated for up to 180 gallons, which means it'll definitely work on my 75 gal. And it uses less than 3000 btu's which means it won't trigger my circuit breaker.. =)

Anyone ever have this chiller and have any opinions on it?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: