AnthonyAce

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I have a RBTA that when fully open spans at least 12-14" and consumes most of my tank and limits my others coral growth.

I have had him for 2 years and it has not split - is there a way to promote a natural split?

If not, has anyone successfully fragged a rbta?

mk4fan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I have a RBTA that when fully open spans at least 12-14" and consumes most of my tank and limits my others coral growth.

I have had him for 2 years and it has not split - is there a way to promote a natural split?

If not, has anyone successfully fragged a rbta?

I've fragged a couple of RBTA and never had any problems. You have to find a way to get him off the rock that way you can cut him right in half. It is very difficult to get a clean cut with the RBTA on the rock. But once you get him off the rock you can place him on a cutting mat and slice him right in half. Make sure to cut the mouth in half if you can. Then take the halves and place in a container with your tank water and wait a couple of hours for the RBTA to start the healing process. This is also done to eliminate any waste going in your tank. After a couple of hours place back in your tank and both RBTA will look for a rock to attach. Or you can place back in your tank in a holding cell so it can heal.

Good luck, there are lots of thread with instructions on other boards.

AnthonyAce

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Thanks - I have a couple of quick questions, should I use any supplements? should I put a small powerhead in the bucket for water movement?? also, should I keep the lights off for a period of time??

mk4fan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Thanks - I have a couple of quick questions, should I use any supplements? should I put a small powerhead in the bucket for water movement?? also, should I keep the lights off for a period of time??

No no need, just put plenty of water. Plenty of oxygen for the rbta. You don't want the powerhead to disturb the rbta. No leave lights on regular schedule.

I forgot to mention, make sure your RBTA is healthy and established not stressed out so it can handle the process.

Here is a picture of my rbta after the fragging process, forgot how long after the fragging i took this picture but i would say within a week.

img_7761.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: