funkmaster

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
ok alk is 12 mag is 1200 nit is 20 ppm .....phos is 0 so i havent changes my rowa is about 3 weeks but i shouldnt have to run that with a fuge ...i have a coral life skimmer it pulls out about 2 cups a week

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Do you have a TDS Meter on your RO/DI? If not, maybe your RO/DI isnt working correctly?

I would cut the lighting in display by 2 hours a day...and maybe go completely black in display for a day every few weeks

It sounds like you are doing every right, except water changes need to be done more frequently, say x4.

I would also add to the clean up crew...more snails/hermits

Did you add any type of man made rock? These generally leach out into tanks and create phosphate issues...all I could come up with.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Get a butt-load of mexican turbo snails, add a phosban reactor, decreased the amount off feeding, increase water changes. Don't believe your phosphate testkit.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
i started having this prob when i added my fuge...my fuge is covered in algae
img00220201002251813.jpg

This may sound stupid, but if you feel it all started with the fuge; then why haven't you removed it to see if it would go away?

On another note I had something similar in my fowlr after killing all, or most of the good bacteria by accident. It took a good while to get rid of it. Constant 30 gallon weekly water changes out of 120 tank.
I don't know much about fuges, except for what I have read on the net, and everything I've read points to the need of a huge fuge to reap the benefits that we seek in them.
The one fuge I did run many years ago did nothing for my tank.
Both my current tanks do not have a fuge.

funkmaster

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i do have snails and i have a phosban reactor with rowa phos ....i dont feed much at all i have all small fish ....and ok i can do more water changes .....i also relived that i have bubbles on the glass in the fuge and bubbles on some of the rocks ...is this bad ..

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
funkmaster why don't you look to your "fuge" since you already stated your tank's problem began when you installed the fuge?

Or ask others that have successful tanks with fuge how their's are setup..
Wishing you all the best with this issue...

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Get a butt-load of mexican turbo snails, add a phosban reactor, decreased the amount off feeding, increase water changes. Don't believe your phosphate testkit.

Truer words were never spoken :)
You should change the GFO weekly and try Phosban rather than what you are using. Changing it every 3 weeks when you have an issue like yours is nit near often enough. That and the increased water changes are probably the most critical.

Sorry for all of the questions but your answers are helpful...
What are the dimensions of the tank?

You say you are running 12 T5's? Can I assume they are 2 rows of 6 bulbs, or staggered in the canopy?
That's a LOTTA light...best to cut it back by a couple of hours a day at this point.

Just exactly when did you add them (you said they are brand new)...?
Did you add the fuge at the same time?

..and in case someone volunteers to drop by..what town do you live in?

btw - the air bubbles are carbon dioxide - since algae is a plant, it's taking in oxygen and giving off the carbon dioxide - the air bubbles you see. They will increase during the day as long as you have the algae issue going on..not to worry about them ;)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: