funkmaster

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i have been battling algae in my reef tank for some time now and i cant get it under control...my fuge has all types of algae growing in it and my main tank has green algae on the glass and a hair type algae that is grey not green in it. i have done many posts and put up pics but no one has been able to help ...i was hoping that some one can stop over to see my set up and maybe im doing something wrong

thanks eric

jcolon2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I know it isn't a cure, but if you want to get the algae off the glass I have a solution given to me by Longislandmike. Use an old credit card or gift card to scrape the algae off the glass. It works wonders.

DCG1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
181   0   0
Sorry this is the first time seeing this thread ... in either case ... what are your tanks parameters (they CAN NOT be perfect since you have a nice hair algae outbreak). Do you use RO/DI or Tap? If RO/DI ... how old are the filters?

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
scraping the glass works but I know ppl are going to post on this thread what is the water and the temp and how muhc are you feeding what do you have in the tank, what are your water parm. what are you dosing what fish do you have, what skimmer how long has the tank been up and running. How much live rock???? If you are having a problem with cyno run gfo or phosband, if you have a rodi then check to see if the media has to be changed. Also how long do you keep the lights on for. and are you over feeding the fish or how long do you feed? But if none of the above help out and you see you have problems after cutting back feeding and all that fun stuff. Then go to petco and buy a bottle of special blen, yes it does smell rancid but all in all it will help out alot and drop your nitrites and trates. It worked for me I did a test before I added it and after giving a 4 day span to certify the test and the numbers droped by 10% in the first dosing. I was very happy. I hope this helps alot and I hope you have luck with your tank.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
How long has the tank been up?
Please list all of your water parameters.
Do you run any reactors - if so which ones?
How often do you change your water and what percentage do you change?
Do you run a skimmer - what type?

What is your bio-load like (fish-wise)
What do you feed your fish and might you possible be overfeeding?
Do you have a clean up crew - what do you have?
What kind of lighting do you have and how many hours is it on per day? How lod are the bulbs?

The answers to those questions should give us a good foundation for suggestions on what you can do to battle your algae issue AND remedy the cause, not just treat the symptom.

..and sorry that we haven't been much of a help so far for you :(

funkmaster

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
my tank had been set up for almost 2 yrs i have a 150 reef ..i only have 3 fish and i barly feed them i have a 30 gal sump with live rock ,rowa phos in a reactor ,20 gal fuge ,rodi with new filters , protien skimmer ....i have t 5 lights running 9 hrs a day and my fuge lights on a alt scedule...i have sea slugs and a urchin ...

my phoshate says 0 ppm but i dont think its right ....the green algae isnt my worry its the hair like algae ...but its not hair algae

funkmaster

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i do a 30 gal water change every month ..all my testing is perfect my cal is a little low but thats it ...i dont even know if i should beleave the kits anymore

DCG1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
181   0   0
my phoshate says 0 ppm but i dont think its right ....the green algae isnt my worry its the hair like algae ...but its not hair algae

Does it look more like this?
image.axd

bryopsis3.jpg

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
What kind of skimmer is it?

Do you have the rest of your parameters..need Alk, Nitrate, Mg..if you don't have kits for those, you should get some :)

What about lighting?

IMO 30g once a month is no where near enough water changes, especially when you are fighting an algae issue. 20-30 g per week would be more helpful now. You should be changing your GFO (Rowaphos) weekly at this point as well.

How long ago did you add the fuge? Got a pic of it ( a little larger than the last pic please -maybe 600 x 480 ish in size- I've got old eyes...lol)?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: