gforce6

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
You can test with your wound body part. Finger with minor cut is good to test your water. You will feel some electricity though your wound finger.

Also, it is always good to have titanum grounding probe in your tank.

UL1711.jpg

regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
gforce6 said:
You can test with your wound body part. Finger with minor cut is good to test your water. You will feel some electricity though your wound finger.

So go ahead and cut your finger to test for it. Hope you guys don't have a shark in your tank when you do this.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Ok. Grounding rod yes. Test the 9v battery with your tongue to see if it has juice in it NO!! That grounding rod is great works wonders. I also suggest you unplug all electrical units that are in your setup ( I know it's a pain in the @$$ ) and try putting your unwounded hand in the tank. Then add the grounding probe and plug everything back in!!!!!!

TIPPYTURTLE

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i had the same problem about 2 months ago and it was a bare wire from one of my pumps it will cause no harm too your live stock but i would definately find out were it is coming from just my 2 cents

Brian

FRY

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
(SAFETY

EFFECTS OF CURRENT ON THE BODY

Before learning safety precautions, you should look at some of the possible effects of electrical current on the human body. The following table lists some of the probable effects of electrical current on the human body.

AC 60 Hz (mA) DC (mA) Effects
0-1 0-4 Perception
1-4 4-15 Surprise
4-21 15-80 Reflex action
21-40 80-160 Muscular inhibition
40-100 160-300 Respiratory failure
Over 100 Over 300 Usually fatal

Note in the above chart that a current as low as 4 mA can be expected to cause a reflex action in the victim, usually causing the victim to jump away from the wire or other component supplying the current. While the current should produce nothing more than a tingle of the skin, the quick action of trying to get away from the source of this irritation could produce other effects (such as broken limbs or even death if a severe enough blow was received at a vital spot by the shock victim).

It is important for you to recognize that the resistance of the human body cannot be relied upon to prevent a fatal shock from a voltage as low as 115 volts or even less. Fatalities caused by human contact with 30 volts have been recorded. Tests have shown that body resistance under unfavorable conditions may be as low as 300 ohms, and possibly as low as 100 ohms (from temple to temple) if the skin is broken. Generally direct current is not considered as dangerous as an equal value of alternating current. This is evidenced by the fact that reasonably safe "let-go currents" for 60 hertz, alternating current, are 9.0 milliamperes for men and 6.0 milliamperes for women, while the corresponding values for direct current are 62.0 milliamperes for men and 41.0 milliamperes for women. Remember, the above table is a fist of probable effects. The actual severity of effects will depend on such things as the physical condition of the work area, the physiological condition and resistance of the body, and the area of the body through which the current flows. Thus, based on the above information, you MUST consider every voltage as being dangerous.

ELECTRIC SHOCK

Electric shock is a jarring, shaking sensation you receive from contact with electricity. You usually feel like you have received a sudden blow. If the voltage and resulting current are sufficiently high, you may become unconscious. Severe burns may appear on your skin at the place of contact; muscular spasms may occur, perhaps causing you to clasp the apparatus or wire which caused the shock and be unable to turn it loose. )

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Does it matter where you put the grounding probe? Sump or main tank? Do you have to ground the wire coming from the three prong plug or is it sufficient enough to just place the three prong plug into the power strip connected to a gfci?

FRY

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
you mean GFI outlet,the ground is constance connection were you plug it into,the grounding probe only has one conducter and that is the ground the other 2 blades arre dummey,i whould put itin the main tank,

[JWS]wasabi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mega important to ground your tank! if your feeling a tingle like that in your tank...
step A, ground your tank.
step B, figure out what is wrong, why is there electric current?
step C, fix it.
step D, keep your tank grounded regardless.
step E, be happy you didnt get shocked, drink a beer, look at your fish. :)

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Chief: So you plug the three prong into a power strip connected to a GFI or directly to a GFI and also connect that loop to the screw on the faceplate? I thought by plugging into the power strip or into a GFI directly was sufficient.

So I should also ground that wire to the faceplate right?

FRY

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
just plug the ground probe into the outlet and place the probe into the tank and thats all you need,some ground probe comes with plug on it and some comes with eyeloop ,if you get the one with eyeloop connect eyeloop to center screw of outlet plate

Last edited:

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Frank: Thanks. I was confused since my titanium grounding probe has both a three prong plug and off of the three prong plug is a wire with the eyeloop. So I'm not sure why that would be the case. I just plugged in the three prong plug into a power strip connected to a GFI and did not ground the eyeloop.

P.S. If your brother wants to come over this weekend let me know. I brought home a tds unit.

FRY

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
i cant say this enough just because you have a 3 wire outlet, that the ground is connected in the outlet you to make sure that at the outlet you have a ground.you can use this one HD has them about $8.00

Attachments

• inspectortool_1875_5576783.jpg
    inspectortool_1875_5576783.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: