SaltyFlip

Percula Agent
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok, after these things started popping up in different forums (about clowns and which is best and what nots and what nits), I tried to read some more about them; and I came up with more questions that I can't seem to find the answer to and here they are...
1.) I got what ORA stood for but what makes them so...sought after? (besides breeding/growing stuff in their facility and not affecting the wild, right?)
2.) What makes a Picasso Clown, a Picasso Clown?
3.) What's with Grade A, B, C, D, E, F...etc. on Clownfish (Picasso and Not)?
4.) What makes it a rejected Picasso Clown?
5.) Can any Picasso Clown come from any species of Clownfish and not just A. Percula and Ocellaris?
6.) :banghead: My head is about to burst but I think that's all the question I got for now...

I'd appreciate it if someone can answer these or send me a link for a good read :grouphug:...I'm just really curious but can't seem to get an answer straight :idea:.

Thanks in advance!

SaltyFlip

Percula Agent
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yup, basically. Since ORA is (from what I get) the only trusted source of "Picasso" Clowns...then what they say is what it is. They could say, "hey we've got a Rembrandt Clown for $1000" and someone will probably pay that. Who made ORA the authority on Picasso's anyway :\ I just got a headache thinking about all these... :sigh:

P.S. it might sound like I'm "hating" on Picasso and Owners, but it isn't my intention.

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Ok, after these things started popping up in different forums (about clowns and which is best and what nots and what nits), I tried to read some more about them; and I came up with more questions that I can't seem to find the answer to and here they are...
1.) I got what ORA stood for but what makes them so...sought after? (besides breeding/growing stuff in their facility and not affecting the wild, right?)

The reality is less green. They're a supplier of livestock of excellent quality, and they breed 'designer' fish with unusual patterns.

5.) Can any Picasso Clown come from any species of Clownfish and not just A. Percula and Ocellaris?
6.) :banghead: My head is about to burst but I think that's all the question I got for now...[/QUOTE]

All the answers are related. PIcasso clowns are those that have a markedly different banding pattern from normal clownfish. There's probably a specification somewhere which goes over the grades, etc, but essentially it's about conformation to a standard. I'm sure that if you contacted ORA you could probably get an explanation.

As for 5, I'm going to guess 'probably not,' since the breeders are exploiting specific genetics, though it's always possible another clownfish species could get another mutation that has the same effect.

Last edited:

Lunareclipse

Fishes are cuddly
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The reality is less green. They're a supplier of livestock of excellent quality, and they breed 'designer' fish with unusual patterns.

6.) :banghead: My head is about to burst but I think that's all the question I got for now...

All the answers are related. PIcasso clowns are those that have a markedly different banding pattern from normal clownfish. There's probably a specification somewhere which goes over the grades, etc, but essentially it's about conformation to a standard. I'm sure that if you contacted ORA you could probably get an explanation.

As for 5, I'm going to guess 'probably not,' since the breeders are exploiting specific genetics, though it's always possible another clownfish species could get another mutation that has the same effect.[/QUOTE]
So, they finally started breeding fish like people breed dogs? So are we going to have a Westminster or Crufts for our fish sometime soon too?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: