cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
jhale said:
what does that mean Pierce? "lighten up" ? do you mean you want to give some frags away?

I can not reveal the source of the pm, I can say that it came from steve tyree originally :P

Umm,, your secret is safe with me:lol:. I like to lighten the color a bit, but I don't mind fragging a little if someone offers me the market price for a 1/4"~1/2" frag J. People with tank that is less then a year old and don?t have the proper conditions do not need to ask.

My PM did trace back to Tyree as well, but it is not from his original colony since he had lost it many years ago. A hobbyist in LA found a 8"+ colony in another hobbyist?s tank in the summer of 03' and traded a large (I think it was 240g + acrylic) new fish tank for it. He then hyped the new found treasure on RC, chopped it up and made thousands of dollars from selling it locally in LA, on ebay and via reefermadness, Tyree even got a piece back and verified it is the same coral. Mine came from Tyree?s new colony last year.

I am not sure why people would pay 2-300 for a small frag, I personally don?t think it is worth it. FWIW, my Oregon tort grows much slower and have better color. It is all in the marketing?

ctxmonitor

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Yup, I totally agree. Why would someone pay so much for a piece of coral when it doesn't even look that pretty??? I mean it is nice to have if a friend ;) ;) frag you a piece but other than that no way am I going to pay $150 for a 1/4-1/2" frag...

I think people are just buying it so they can sell it back out in a few months to earn some cash..

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
jhale said:
purple monster

Dave you can be on my 2006 list after shaun, we have to see how fast it grows, lol.
I really think that the lokani that I have is a Purple monster clone, it doesn't trace back to Tyree but to an earlier descendent found in the open ocean, ;) ! It is becoming a really nice purple and has the token white polyps.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
solbby said:
I really think that the lokani that I have is a Purple monster clone, it doesn't trace back to Tyree but to an earlier descendent found in the open ocean, ;) ! It is becoming a really nice purple and has the token white polyps.

You should do a DNA comparison for verification :lol:.

Kedd

25   0   0
This is NOT the puple monster you are all talking about, but each day I think it's looking more like it's cousin.

What do you think?

Attachments

• DSC_1413 (Custom).JPG
    DSC_1413 (Custom).JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 43

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
well Reeffarmers.com is owned by steve tyree, if he calls it an acropora valida who am I to argue with him ;)

Dave the wait list is till December, 2011. Now that's crazy.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
cali_reef said:
You should do a DNA comparison for verification :lol:.
Don't tempt me, it would be easier for me to do! The hardest part would be getting the DNA from an "original" purple monster to compare, ;) .

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
solbby said:
WOW, fragments are reserved till 2010. Jonathan you should start the reservations now, ;) .

I'm not fragging this one, it's in the vault ;)
(i should say safety deposit box for the donor)

there will be pieces made to back the vault up in case the worst happens.:grouphug:

Dave get your 125 stable, lol.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: