jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
And for BEERFISH, if you believe every LFS you walk into, man those car dealers must love you when you walk in. Oh this car comes with one of a kind paint and special cloth seats. If you buy it today we will give you a special deal. This won't be here tomorrow. WOW. BEERFISH, I have some stuff I need to sell, Honest prices. I have brand new T5 bulbs I just changed out of my fixture 50 bucks a piece.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
What happens their diet just changes all the sudden because they were captive born?? I don't think so.

The issue with mandarins is that most will only eat live food. As long as their nutritional needs can be met with other foods, the issue is getting them to accept them, not changing their diet.

If ORA has them eating prepared foods, then I don't see any reason that they wouldn't fare well in an aquarium.

As for coloration, I'd take a slightly pale mandarin that doesn't adversely affect the reef over a brighter one that's causing damage.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
And for BEERFISH, if you believe every LFS you walk into, man those car dealers must love you when you walk in. Oh this car comes with one of a kind paint and special cloth seats. If you buy it today we will give you a special deal. This won't be here tomorrow. WOW. BEERFISH, I have some stuff I need to sell, Honest prices. I have brand new T5 bulbs I just changed out of my fixture 50 bucks a piece.

Just because you may try to cheat people doesn't mean that everyone does. Good luck with future sales now that you've pointed out the fact that you're willing to screw people over.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
i will say this on manderins, as i have tried them over and over, longest i ever kept one was 8 months and it ate prepared foods and several types, just something to me thats missing in the diet keeping them from lasting long term, sure you could count the people on here on one hand that have kept them past 6 months

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
I had a pair for over 2 years and seen them spawn a few times!!

I think "normal" pellets may be a bit large for them, and not the right mixture of protein content. They eat small pod's pretty exclusively and that's why most tanks can't support them long term. As for ORA breeding and marketing them, I would buy them once they become available, even if they are double the price and less colorful. One reason being the survivability rate should be higher as they are used to eating frozen or pellets, which makes them easier to feed. No need to try and teach a few of the wild ones before you get one to eat prepared food and not die of starvation.

Buying little bottle of the nano pellets and frozen pods maybe a little expensive, as every other fish will eat them too, hope they know how to take bigger bites..

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
BEERFISH, I do not own or sell anything, I was making a point to you. Which you obviously missed. And other members pick up on. And like NYREEF said, just because they eat it does not mean they will live. Captive or wild it is still a Mandrin and needs certain requirements, unless you can alter their genes were they won't need certain diets then they will be the same. BEERFISH you have shown your true colors and I will not a have a battle of witts with someone who is obviously unarmed.

zook

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
As I mentioned in my previous post, captive breeding is not difficult as I have a breeding pair, but captive rearing can be tricky although they have been successfully raised on Rotifers.

Currently, there is a population of captive bred Green Mandarins circulated in the US for a couple of years now.

There are a many new revolutions happening in this hobby every year so many old concepts are no longer valid.

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Wow, I've had my Mandarin for almost a year now and he couldn't be happier. I'm guessing he has an endless supply of copepods and rotifers due to the size of the system I run and the amount of coral livestock that comes in and out but I sure hope he doesn't go belly up anytime soon! I've also lost Mandarin before and IMO think they really need to be in larger systems than people put them in.

jcolon2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I had a mandarin in a brand new 20 gallon tank that I was dosing with tons of pods. Unfortunately, I was new to the hobby (still am, but have done far mro research and have a larger tank) and didn't yet have powerheads or a sump. The levels in my tank spiked and the mandarin and my flame angel died : (

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
great news. it's a start. hopefully in a few years' time, mandarins will be as easy to keep as clowns.
i for one would be willing to buy a less colorful and more expensive mandarin that is easy to feed and live a fairly long term in my tank.

i got my green mandarin from another member last sept. so it's only been 6 months in my care. he resides in my 55 gal. fuge. he's eating frozen mysis, cyclop-eeze, and hikari marine-s pellets (suggested by dom of dotr) but i think he mostly hunts down the copepods in the chaeto.
i spot feed him twice a day but don't believe he eats enough of the prepared food alone to sustain him long term. i buy copepods and add them to repopulate the fuge when i don't see them crawling around anymore.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I wish I could own a place like ORA. It's awesome what they do.

As far as diets, the best thing you can do for fish is vary their diet considerably and feed often. Something most reefers don't do. At the base of all foods that marine fish eat (even carnivores) is algae. My guess is Mandarins are exposed to many different types of algae through the pods they eat. I always considered Mandarins the humming birds of the ocean. They eat non-stop. Feeding them once a day probably isnt in their best interest either even if they are eating prepared foods. If you have Mandarins that eat prepared foods you should soak the food with selcon or other nutrients at least once in a while. Even soak the foods with different types of phytoplankton. This is something I used to do often and just started doing again.

If you practice this with all of your fish you will notice a considerable difference in their color too :wink1:

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
I wish I could own a place like ORA. It's awesome what they do.

As far as diets, the best thing you can do for fish is vary their diet considerably and feed often. Something most reefers don't do. At the base of all foods that marine fish eat (even carnivores) is algae. My guess is Mandarins are exposed to many different types of algae through the pods they eat. I always considered Mandarins the humming birds of the ocean. They eat non-stop. Feeding them once a day probably isnt in their best interest either even if they are eating prepared foods. If you have Mandarins that eat prepared foods you should soak the food with selcon or other nutrients at least once in a while. Even soak the foods with different types of phytoplankton. This is something I used to do often and just started doing again.

If you practice this with all of your fish you will notice a considerable difference in their color too :wink1:

thanks for the tips dom.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: