tonep

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Wll as they get better at breeding maybe the price will go down.
Also, if you take into account the fact that you woun't have such a problem feeding them maybe more people will go with the tank raised.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
This is the frustrating issue with most captive bred fish--it is still cheaper to catch and ship them from overseas than it is to commercially breed them and the public by and large is more concerned with price than sustainability or in this particularly shortsighted case survivability.

In general I agree, but there are many who would prefer to buy captive and sell captive in an effort to save the worlds reefs than to take them from the wild. For sure, this is a limited population of people - BUT, the more we advocate, the more the word spreads :)

House

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
very cool news, but i thought the big issue with mandarins was that we dont know exactly what they need in their diet. even ones that eat prepared foods dont have that great of a survival record as far as i know.

zook

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
ORA, among others, have successfully reared these and I believe that the hardest part is over. Unlike clownfish that spawns every few weeks and have become beyond common, Mandarins breed nightly and even more than once nightly. Thus, if more efficient rearing methods are developed, I'm sure the price and dependency on wild-caught specimens will be minimal.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Yea but don't forget where you will be buying these from. The LFS is a buisness and they do not care if they are captive or wild. They are in it to make money and that is the bottom line. If the Captive are 10 bucks more then the LFS will only sell "captive" even though they will sell a wild one as Captive. And that is where the problem really lies.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
:smash:Beerfish, not again. It is a buisness and if you trust any LFS 100% then you are, I cant even say it on here.:banghead: Which LFs do you go to that is so trustworthy???? I guarentee I know something about it you don't.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I'm not sure captive breeding them is the hardest part, after all they're pretty easy to bred, I had a pair that use to bred all the time back in the 80's. The problem is keeping them alive long term. I'm sure they're growing them out using some sort of live culture food or some food source from the ocean, like they do with most of the captive bred fish. The question is will they eat regular food and is that enough to keep them alive long term. In the end all they maybe doing is just breeding a fish that have no better chance of long term survival rate than the wild caught ones.

As for price, well regardless of how many they have captive breed fish are always going to cost more. The cost to the breeder are always going to be higher then wild caught one. Lets not forget they're in business to make a profit and will charge more for captive bred fish too.

Also most of ORA fish have terrible colors, no where near wild caught fish, and usually have some sort of abnormally.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Mike there is a big difference between getting them to spawn and raising them to adulthood which has not been done very often. If they are not eating prepared foods, they won't be selling them as no one will have any interest. Whether they will prove hardier over the long term I guess we will have to see.

I also think your characterization of ORA fish is overstated and overly broad-- some clowns have some abnormalities---I haven't seen this issue in other species of theirs and I haven't seen coloration issues except for the P. friedmani's and those I think have improved over the years.

Anyway, there is no reason to think that captive raised mandarins won't have a better shot at survival than wild ones. At the very least, hobbyists can give them a try without depleting wild stock of an almost always doomed fish.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I'm not saying that it's easy to do, or that they shouldn't be applauded for what they're doing, but I think if you have the resources, large tanks, facilities, live food sources, not to mention the people and time that you can dedicate to the breathing of the fish, you can raise fish and do it on a commercial scale. Regardless if they eat prepared food or live food they can and would market them as captive breed, especially if they can produce enough of them, remember this is a business after all. In the end we'll see if these fish are better suited to eating regular prepared food, as opposed to the wild caught ones. It would be nice if they do as a most of these fish are doomed to die from starvation once taken out of the ocean.

As for ORA fish, the colors and the fish being abnormalities in appearance, well I'm not the only one saying this. I hear this from a lot of people, even people that work at LFS. The fish aren't anywhere as nice as the wild caught ones, except maybe some of the on the Clowns, but even then some people would rather just have the regular ones, but that I guess is more of a taste or personal type thing. ORA and other places that breed fish are great but the quality isn't always the best, similar to what you see in captive breed freshwater fish over the years.

Last edited:

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I agree with Marrone, And also just because they eat pellet diets and are captive bred doesn't mean they will survive in a tank. What happens their diet just changes all the sudden because they were captive born?? I don't think so.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: