fish keeper 7

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
my tank has been set up for a year and a half now and the tape on plastic backgrounds just dont cut it, i want to spray paint my tank.

1 problem. i have fish in it.

any tips on how to achieve this? i cant really move my tank but i can get behind it enough to spray paint it.

any "less" toxic paints or tips on how to achieve this without anything spraying into the tank?

*edit*

forgot to mention ive had 3 bare back tanks since i started fish keeping and i havent really gotten sick of the wires in the back up until the past few months, REALLLLLY bothering me, i just always loved my fish. =] ive had quite a few crashes though but im more experienced now and havent had a crash in 6 months. =]

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Do NOT use spray paint around the tank! The mist will stay in the air and get into your tank.

Many of us use a small roller and a latex based paint
Just make sure to clean the glass REALLY well, by using a cloth to wash it carefully. Rubbing alcohol for the last few swipes before painting it.

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Do NOT use spray paint around the tank! The mist will stay in the air and get into your tank.

Many of us use a small roller and a latex based paint
Just make sure to clean the glass REALLY well, by using a cloth to wash it carefully. Rubbing alcohol for the last few swipes before painting it.

Latex paint comes off VERY easily on glass. So remember never to touch it after its on ;)

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
i have spray painted alot of tanks in the past. i usually just use krylon spray paint. but i take cardboard and cover the entire top of the tank, and also lay it flat against the sides with it sticking out the back so no excuess paint goes anywhere. they i let it sit for awhile. if your doing it inside i would not reccomend it. get it outside where its safe

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I used black rustoleum oil based paint and a roller. It's been about 5 years and not even a chip has come off. I even use a magnet cleaner on the back with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
i have spray painted alot of tanks in the past. i usually just use krylon spray paint. but i take cardboard and cover the entire top of the tank, and also lay it flat against the sides with it sticking out the back so no excuess paint goes anywhere. they i let it sit for awhile. if your doing it inside i would not reccomend it. get it outside where its safe

Ryan - the OP's tank has been up for a year and a half..I think getting it outside to do this would be a royal pita ..lol ;)
..but a great suggestion for a new empty tank!

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I used this with a small roller, works great

Attachments

• IMG_0374.jpg
    IMG_0374.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 51

fish keeper 7

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
hey everyone thanks so much for the suggestions! the garbage bag idea sounds great and i feel really dumb for not thinking of the roller idea myself!

Alex- do you use a magnet cleaner on the back and nothing comes off?

i just want to make sure when i put my return pump, overflow box and protein skimmer on the back after im done painting nothing is going to chip off.

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I've had this on the back of my tank for about 7 months and no chipping. When my background has been dirty I've used a magnavore cleaner without a problem. Use in confidence. BTW I used about three coats, and still have some left.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

fish keeper 7

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
you still have some left you say? this sounds like the easiest way to do it to me, how much would you want for it, im located in staten island also.

If not where would i be able to find some and how much? lol

Thanks =]

once again to everyone i appreciate all the suggestions. <3 MR

fish keeper 7

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
yeah before i read the roller idea that was going to bemy plan, it sounds really safe if done right. i might just do it anyway when im rolling, just to be 100% safe lol

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
The amount left is not enough for one coat. when you apply it will tend to slip on the glass, but with a little less push you will find that it glides on without any pushing. the roller keeps going, you need the smooth foam roller. I got this at home depot, I believe it was a few bucks for the small can i have in the photo.

fish keeper 7

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
okay i went to home depot before and bought the exact same stuff you did. thanks ao much. and was there a specific soller i should have? i have a ultra smooth roller thats about 4-6 in in length, will that be good? or is that the wrong material?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: