dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
day two with out a chiller :headache: i was able to keep the tank at 80 and i was also able to drop of my chiller to the guys hopefully i get it back soon ...and for the first time i got all my anenome to eat on the same day that had never happen before i even got the picky eater to eat i dont know if it the 2 degree more but my tank look happy

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
That's good news :)
At least the weather is going to cool off a little, so you will get through until your chiller is fixed.

If it does get warmer again soon, don't forget a fan blowing across the surface of the tank will cool it down by 2 or 3 degrees - if you need it to :)

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Personally, I like keeping my tank at about 80 anyway. I don't run with a chiller, but I also don't run MHs. A controller to turn off lights selectively and turn on fans keep the temperature below 85 in high summer, and nothing in my tanks have really shown any adverse reactions.

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Oh -- what kind of anemone do you have and what're you feeding it? I've got a BTA that I was trying to feed silversides, but that was hit and miss -- so I switched over to frozen mysis and, when I'm lazy, which is most days, Formula 1 pellets, which also feed the clowns that host in it. :)

Salty Dog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90.9%
20   2   0
I like to keep my tank at 78, the warmer the tank the more algea growth and bacteria that you dont want. A chiller is a must to keep things stable. My chiller was running constantly.

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
i like to keep my tank at 78 and 83 is the cut off everything shut down i do run mh but lately i been cutting back 3/4 hour and run my t5 for the rest of the time...... and i have a carpet is getting reather large it always eats /3 bta /and two rock anenome

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I like to keep my tank at 78, the warmer the tank the more algea growth and bacteria that you dont want. A chiller is a must to keep things stable. My chiller was running constantly.

At 78, and with MHs, a chiller may be a must, but at 80 and T5s, I can get away with about 10 watts of fans and intelligent programming of my controller to turn off lights in sequence. :) There're also reasons why temperature spikes in a MH-lighted aquarium tend to be more lethal than those in a T5 or LED-lit aquarium, but that's a bit of a lengthy explanation.

Sure, the algae and bacteria grow quicker -- but, the algae and bacteria grow quicker, and thus remove more nutrients from your water, faster, and providing more food for everything in the tank too. And, of course, your snails and corals and everything else will grow faster. It's also more of a natural range for the reef-crest critters that we tend to keep.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: