caad3

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Hi everyone, I think I might a mantis shrimp but wanted opinions. Rececently I lost a blue spotted jawfish(over a year) and a peppermint hog. No sign of them and the tank is covered. I did see the hog with a big gash on his side one day, he was eating fine. The next day gone. I also did hear a clicking should at night, but only once in awhile. Do mantis Shrmp eat fish?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

pweissma

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
caad3 said:
Hi everyone, I think I might a mantis shrimp but wanted opinions. Rececently I lost a blue spotted jawfish(over a year) and a peppermint hog. No sign of them and the tank is covered. I did see the hog with a big gash on his side one day, he was eating fine. The next day gone. I also did hear a clicking should at night, but only once in awhile. Do mantis Shrmp eat fish?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Yes mantis shrimp eat fish. You gotta get it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

caad3

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Jumpers

I totally agree, I checked the floor as well as my overflows and no sign of them... this is fustrating, had the jawfish for over a year, and the candy cane was doing great, QT'd for 4 weeks and was settling in nicely... I guess its time to go hunting..
Both of those fish are known jumpers. I know you said the tank is covered, I would check the floor. The click could be a shrimp but I bet they jumped JMO

Avi

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Clicking suggests either a pistol shrimp or a mantis shrimp. Either could wind up in a tank as a "hitchhiker" on live rock that you put into your reef. A pistol shrimp, however, wouldn't hunt your fish. And, you might not have had any trouble from the mantis until now because sometimes when they come in as "hitchhikers" they're very small but only start hunting when they get larger. Accepting that your tank is covered and you did look around the floor behind the tank because fish like Jawfish can manage to get through the smallest of openings, and didn't find either of the two fish...then you've got a mantis in there that's gone rogue! Start your search and don't give up until you get it. Good luck, because sometimes it takes a lot of persistence to catch it.

Last edited:

adamt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
you should get one of those breeder boxes for live bearers and keep him in it once you catch him theyre cool as anything. If you buy one of those mantis shrimp traps try baiting it with some fresh clam

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: