adamt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have an aqua c remora currently and its WAAAAYYYYYY too noisy. Its become such a detraction from the tank and the constant hissing, popping, and bubbling has got me going insane, not to mention my fiance is pissed. We can barely watch tv with it on. Are there any other decent HOB skimmers that can handle 55 or larger that work well, and are a little less noisy. Or is there a way to shut this thing up a little bit. The situation can not continue as is, one way or another things need to quiet down. Please help me- Adam

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Adam listen to episode 3 of afishianado- Jon goes into a detailed review of the Deltec MCE 600- a HOB skimmer that he raves about being pretty much silent. Its expensive as all get out but he says a lot of good things about it- your main interest being the thing he hit on multiple times in the review

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
hey adam, i went through some threads and came across a mj1200 mod that will decrease the sound of the skimmer.

Another way...

" easy way to quiet the Remora down is to place a piece of filter pad on top of the injection pipe, under the collection cup. It will act as a muffler for the injection nozzle"

" I too was shocked at how loud it was when I first hooked mine up.
But I made a little pad out of paper towels, put it on top of the injection spray thing, and it made a HUGE difference, wihtout interfering with the foam production. They should sell the thing with a pre-cut piece of filter pad or something. "

goodluck

Reef Reaper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
256   0   0
I have both the Remora and Turboflotor blue 1000 on my 55. The Remora is very noisy and does not function as well as the Turboflotor. I'm thinking of eliminating the Remora. The Turboflotor may not be as good as the other skimmer mentioned in your thread, but it does not cost as much.

adamt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Im going to cut a piece of a jewel case and line the sides with air tubing to act as a little lid to fit over the injection fitting area I saw a cool link on how to do it... Im hoping this does it cus the noise is unbearable and it ruins the whole experience of sitting back and enjoying my aquarium.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: