Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Which are the best stores in the tri-state area?

I have heard that County Critters is easily one of the top 3. Which other stores are on your list for best stocked, friendliest/knowledgable staff and pricing?

-Alfred

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I have found none that have a great selection of coral,
but I have not been to every store, so there might be one out there.
Maybe in new jersey? I've been to the ones in NY and CT.

I went to CC this past spring with a bunch of MR members.
I was not impressed, $125 for three stalks of xenia? they did have a decent selection of fish.

your much better off ordering online, or through someone like ronen/deepwater.
wait for the group buys if you want to save on shipping, or start your own :)

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
For me in Nassau Cty. I like New Hyde Park Pets for fish. As for dry goods, I stick with Reef Exotics (Tony) . He has excellent prices (beating mail order prices most of the time) and is very personable. If there is something I want and he can't get it, I stick with mail order.

Rich

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
jhale said:
I was not impressed, $125 for three stalks of xenia?
mine are chaper :lol:

Jon, i agree that Ronen, or group buys are often better/cheaper options. but the post is asking about LFS, there are still benefits of seeing or browsing the livestock before committing to buy it. (dry goods i just order online when my order is big enough for free shipping).

i tend to like Country Critters too (my wife only likes to go there, she would rather sit in the car with me for an hour and a half to go there, than a five minute drive to a local store). As with many stores, some items you may find to be overpriced and some cheaply priced. That's business, when you see something you like at the right price - take it. otherwise - leave it.

FWIW, i got 4 fish from there about a month ago (3 x $40 + 1 x $80). One didnt survive acclimation (of course the $80 one). I called them up, and they told me to just bring it in, and they replaced it for me. to me it meant a lot as they really didnt have to do that (i dont think they have a livestock guarantee). but they went above and beyond for me.

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Country Critters too expensive and unfriendly staff, just like NWA.
Absolute Fish in NJ, could selection of corals and fish, decent price.
House of Fin, very expensive, but could selection of corals and fish.
Reef and Fin, very expensive, but could selection of corals and sometimes fish.
Reef Encounter, could selection of fish, sometimes you get luck and get nice LPS.
Pacific Aquarium, good selection of fish, corals (LPS mainly).

Just to name a few :)

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Look for some positive changes at House of Fins in the near future. The new manager is a real coral guy, and he is working toward upgrading the systems, selections, product lines, and general appearance of the store. It is already among the best in the area, so these changes should please most of us. The prices will still remain high... it is Greenwich after all, but the quality should match.

Randy

lazyreefer

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
I think price wise, Fishtown USA (queens) is by far the cheapest place to go. They have , some times, better prices than mail order or online.... they don't have the nicest setup or the most knowledgeable employees but the cheapest prices around for livestock.

John

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 85.7%
12   2   0
I was at fishtown last night picking up a True Perc. They are redoing the entire saltwater section getting rid of the tanks and putting little arcylic cubes for each individual fish which of course will be plumbed together. Hope to see things looking a little better there in the future.

John

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 85.7%
12   2   0
Don yeah I know, I didn't forget about you. They have been keeping a limited amount of stuff due to the fact they are redoing the section like I said. After the new tanks are up they will be getting a boat load of new stuff in.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: