ctxmonitor

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I am feeling very sad as I typed this.. Because of the stupid damn tank that I got, I had to transfer everything over to a holding tank. So that I could try to find a way to clear up that stuff on the glass.

I was suspecting something was wrong since their was no polpys extension. Then on Thursday most of my sps started rtn'ing and thats when I investigated what was causing it.. Then I dig through, one of my clown was died and fauling the water!! I quickly transfer all of them to another tank with some old batch of saltwater that I had holding for my liverock.. But as of today there is only few left that didn't rtn or still showing rtning..

All the corals I brought, traded, had for the past 8 months is not gone.. I don't know what to do..

Now I'm trying to convince myself if I should even try to continue setting this up or just leave the hobby..

Thanks for listening..

Tom

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Hey Tom,
Really sorry to hear about what happened. Its a tough time. At one point or another this happens. Youre at a low point, Im sure. (been there) If you quit now, you will probably regrett it. I have not met you personally but judging by your posts you seem like the type that would be in it for the long haul. We all learn from mistakes. There are plenty of people whom I would rather have leave the hobby cause they dont care about what they keep. You obviously do care, otherwise you would not be posting this. I am also sure that there are people who feel the same way I do and they are the very ones who would donate frags to you.

Just hang in there dude!!! Dont give up just yet.

yessongs

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Tom, as Herman stated this happens to the best in this hobby. I just lost a few rare zoos, and some were doing really bad even the one i bought off you were near death but Now they are recovering. I run a small tank and added two shrimp that died, my guess that was fauling the water. Im really low on frags but if you need help water, ride, setting up LMK ill be glad to help!
I've seen your tanks and your good it best if you stay in the hobby JMO.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Tom don't leave the hobby, I'll help you get stated again and I'm sure others will as well. You really should get any remaining coral (especially SPS)to other stable reef tanks.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Tom, I feel your pain. The same thing happened to me during the summer this year as you know. It is heartbreaking. But you can bounce back, I will also be able to try and help you get back on your feet again with frags!
Shaun.

DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tom

dont do it man, eventually after the BS has time to go away you'll be missing this part of your life. Ive been there as well myself but im glad even though I didnt want it anymore I still set up the tank and now Im SOOO glad I did.

If you need some frags LMK i can cut up anything thats fraggable.

Ask any of my friends they having saying for me and my tank

"first it has to go wrong for anything in Andres' tank to go right"

followed by "maybe its not meant for u to have a tank"

Psshhh! Kiss my A$$ I always say..lol

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Ditto ditto ditto ,srry for the pain you are going through ,But TOm ,I never thought i would hear those words from you !!! Dude you are good ,Dont let something like this get you down ,you have a big :grouphug: here well shall help a brother in need ,I have some zoo frags ,just come over ,and say you are going to kick this problem in the head ,and move on to a better reef tank
Plz dont leave the hobby you came to far to give up over this stain ,you corals can be replaced ,but you present cant ,,SO DO I HEAR YOU STARTING OVER ,,With our help . :icon16: :smokin: :yeah:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Tom, I'm new to MR but I am sorry to hear about your losses. These animals are so easy to become attached to.

I don't know much about your system. If you could help me understand a bit maybe I can help out. How many gallons is your system? How much LR? How old (sounds like 8 months from your post)?

I've had a number of fish die as well. I think we can all say we have. A good bacterial colony, a cleanup crew and a healthy system should be able to absorb a dead clown without fouling your water to the point of any noticeable changes in the health of your coral or fish.

Can you post the parameters of your water? Do you use RO/DI? Do you run carbon? Are you doing regular water changes? Have you changed your light cycle? Is it possible you have some amount of stray voltage in the tank? Do you have a grounding probe?

There are a number of things that can cause problems. I am hesitant to think that the dead clown did it. Lets see if we can get to the bottom of this together so you don't leave the hobby you obviously love.

I know I asked a lot of questions, but it's the only way to try to get the answers that might give us a clue.

Good luck and post more for us to help.

Russ

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Thanks for the heads up Kris.

Tom, is the new tank you're switching over to a new tank? If it's used, was it a FW or SW tank previously? Still need to get to the bottom of this. If it was used, was it yours or someone elses? Could they have used any meds in the tank before you got it? Maybe copper based?

Obviously I'm just grasping at straws here, but things don't happen for no reason. We've got a lot of experienced reefers and great minds here. If we all think about it, we might be able to find the culprit.

I'm not ready to give up yet. I like a challenge.

Russ

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Russ

The corals died when Tom had to transfer them over, back to, a holding tank as he was cleaning off the front of the tank that he was upgrading to. Because of all the moving and having to keep the corals in a holding tank longer than what was probably nesscary the corals started to rtn and then everything started to die.

Tom sorry to hear what happen and unfortunily you lost some corals that are going to hard to get back but just give it some time and start over again. I'm sure everyone here will help you and things will be better than before in the long run.

Michael

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: