kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
DRZL said:
That is for a tank under normal conditions, this green explosion is a living phyto bloom not residual algae
You're right, I'm sorry, I should have be clearer. I consider phytoplankton (microscopic plants) dissolved algae, either way, they are skimmable.
JoshSaul said:
I know most people don't like canister filters, but this is temporary measure, something to take the load out while he has no other filtration.

Say all you want about canisters, but with dilligence and fresh media they are fine for this tank. He doesn't have any corals. He can add a decent skimmer once he finds out what is causing the problem. As far as we know, it could be the skimmer itself.
I do understand that canister filters will clear things up quickly and I believe they have very good uses; I use a canister filter myself. It just makes sense to me that he should invest in a better skimmer that will aid him in the long term before putting money into one.

DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
kimoyo said:
You're right, I'm sorry, I should have be clearer. I consider phytoplankton (microscopic plants) dissolved algae, either way, they are skimmable.

they should be with a great skimmer,(N/A here) but they are also prbly under aggresive growth due to his nutrient load and his lights (which should be decreased severely to help eliminate light as a food source)

kimoyo said:
It just makes sense to me that he should invest in a better skimmer that will aid him in the long term before putting money into one.

thats why you should upgrade your equipment before you do so with your tank

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks guys i really have a bad headache from all this lol i am trying to look into the skimmer now cause the dam thing i dont think is skimming anymore nothing is going into the collection cup but the skimmer is working, just another thing and well being a student i thought i could pull this off on a budget and well i know now thats impossible we'll see what happens tomorrow i am sure this post will still be alive by than or ill just post a progression post....

Nite all
Thanks again...

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
To eliminate confusion, can the people who have opinions about this say yeah or nay to the following questions so he knows the consensus as to how to proceed?

Decrease photo period (and maybe even lower in the future)
Remove wet/dry
Get rid of tangs
Shut off sump (skimmer can run directly on the tank)
Buy a Fluval canister and run carbon, nitrate sponge, and silicate
Start looking at prices for a heavy duty skimmer for the future
Test copper if you have a test kit, if not, maybe this is lower priority
Maybe do a 20% water change after all this is done to speed the process
NO FOOD.

Please quote in you response yeah or nay. I think it will help him make up his mind, since a lot of good reefers are contributing at this point.

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Chris5 said:
Thanks guys i really have a bad headache from all this lol i am trying to look into the skimmer now cause the dam thing i dont think is skimming anymore nothing is going into the collection cup but the skimmer is working, just another thing and well being a student i thought i could pull this off on a budget and well i know now thats impossible we'll see what happens tomorrow i am sure this post will still be alive by than or ill just post a progression post....

Nite all
Thanks again...
Chris before you giveup, maybe you can ask some of the guys to help you figure out whats wrong with the skimmer.

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
JoshSaul said:
To eliminate confusion, can the people who have opinions about this say yeah or nay to the following questions so he knows the consensus as to how to proceed?

Decrease photo period (and maybe even lower in the future)
Remove wet/dry
Get rid of tangs
Shut off sump (skimmer can run directly on the tank)
Buy a Fluval canister and run carbon, nitrate sponge, and silicate
Start looking at prices for a heavy duty skimmer for the future
Test copper if you have a test kit, if not, maybe this is lower priority
Maybe do a 20% water change after all this is done to speed the process
NO FOOD.

Please quote in you response yeah or nay. I think it will help him make up his mind, since a lot of good reefers are contributing at this point.
I think the first thing Chris should do is relax and understand that the algae/phyto bloom is not extremely dangerous and has happened to many people before so he's not alone. Please take a look at the following post in Waterkeeper's thread So you got a new fish tank Newbie (a very good thread).

I also think he was having two different problems at the same time. The algae bloom happens to a lot of people and can be solved using many of the methods you have already mentioned. The dying corals and inverts sounds like it could have been a few things but hopefully he has solved that with all of the water changes. In any event I wish him the best of luck.

Last edited:

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Decrease photo period:
YES!

Remove wet/dry:
Not sure he has one. I think he converted it into the sump.

Get rid of tangs:
DEFINITELY! Should be his first priority.

Shut off sump (skimmer can run directly on the tank):
If not, clean it out & inspect everything. If it was shut off for days & just put on....I'm postive that the water in the sump was BAD.

Buy a Fluval canister and run carbon, nitrate sponge, and silicate:
I would. I keep a small Eheim as a spare....in case I have to run any media. Don't think it's within his budget now though.

Start looking at prices for a heavy duty skimmer for the future:
Yes. Now more than the future.

Test copper if you have a test kit, if not, maybe this is lower priority:
Yes. I would to cover every option.

Maybe do a 20% water change after all this is done to speed the process:
Yes. Maybe more.

NO FOOD:
YES!

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
OK, so Dareal and I are in agreement (with him suggesting a little more than my basics.

If anyone want to comment, go for it. But I think we have a game plan.

Chris, let us know what your next options are personally. Again, it is ok to leave the hobby, people do it for no reason at all. If you are in, you seem to have a lot people that will help you get this to run properly.

SeaHorseReefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hello. The pic of your tank looks exactly what I go through every time I set up a new saltwater tank with the lousy water from my pre-war building. My 46 bowfront turned to pea soup even after cycling it for 1 month.

I went out and bought a 9 watt UV sterilizer and it's been crystal ever since. It took 3 days for the cloud to totally clear up.

I cyled my next reef (a small 29) for 3 months before adding anything other than snails and a clown fish to it. Once I started to stock it, poof -- pea soup again. I even had the (used) UV sterilizer in a box waiting to be installed. But no, stubborn me didn't have the time. Well, last week I put the UV sterilizer on it, and overnight I had clear (murky) water. Within 24 hours I had a nearly crystal clear reef. I've since gotten 2 orders of coral and stuff, and it's still crystal.

The motto of the story -- buy yourself an 18 watt UV sterilizer.

Hope this helps. I'm willing to bet it will.

Bob

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks guys and question i have a 120w UV its for our Koi pond outside used in the summer months to help clear the murky water from the winter .....i tried it for about 8 hrs before and no luck but it was also very hard to set up bc its fairly large and i had some leaks on the connections....but maybe if i run that again?

Right now running with only skilter photo period is adjusted and sump is turned off, tank was very cloudy this morning when actnics turned on....

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Hey Chris,

I'm glad you came back. To address your UV question, first I should say I own and use a uv.

But I'm not sure how good they will be for you in this situation. That dissolve aglae (or phyto) in your tank, while being an eyesore is doing two other things. Its holding onto the nutrients in your tank and providing oxygen. UV won't remove the nutrients, it will damage the cell wall of algae (inhibiting it from reproducing) or kill it. It will clear your water but you will still really need to remove those nutrients.

Also, while being an eye sore its also an indicator of how well you are exporting your nutrients. I think it would be really cool for you if you got your skimmer working and saw how effective they can be.

If you don't think your skimmer can do the job, ask Spykes about the skimmer he built. I think he spent somewhere around $150 for a really good one.

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok well here is the latest, using Kuyas other skimmer *bakpak twin pump* and so far so good, also comepletely cleaned out the sump and got that back up and running so we will see what the morning brings, i am off to bed tank has been taking its toll on me, but thanks to everyone here i think hopefully I'll get through it....(i am the type of person when something is broken i have to fix it right away lol, so this as been driving me up the wall, literally) ....

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
You know I am still very new at this and I respect all of your opinions. However, I think that all of the info here may be a little overwhelming even though it is correct ( If you understand what I am saying).

I think you guys need to organize a meeting at Chris' house with the tank in front of you and bounce your ideas around like that. I know when I walk someone through something over a phone or something I always end my conversation with something to the point like " I wish I were there. "

I say this because as a newcomer to this myself sometimes you guys say to do something and I try to do it but something gets lost in the translation and I either skip something or miss something and either cause more of a problem or have to start all over again.
If it's ok with Chris I am sure he would love to have you guys over to help him fix his tank.

Again Let me say that you all are EXTREMELY TALENTED when it comes to reefing and it is a pleasure to have people like you to help out and be a great living encyclopedia. People like us who are not as experienced are lucky to have you all.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: