D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
ever been to one lfs with thousands of coral, 100s of fish and inverts, dry goods at a discounted rate as well as raffles and a auction ?

Not to mention LUNCH !

125reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
ok you need to pay what 25 dollars to get in.and u spend money on raffles.so if you pick up 1 item and you do 5 raffles and dont win you are actually paying more then just going to a lfs.just curious is it more of a lets get together thing.seems like the only people who make out is the vendors and the few who win the raffles

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Prices are at all price points, most lower than retail, but some not. Why go? To meet and hang with hundreds of other like minded hobbyists, attend the lectures and demos and learn something, meet and develop personal relationships with vendors, support the MR community ( this board continues to exist because of the $$ MR makes at the events) and shop the largest coral market in the tri-state area. If you are looking for bargains, the MR selling bins have cheaper items for purchase and vendors do often run specials throughout the day.

The biggest reason to come is to have fun, which I think the vast majority of past attendees will attest is exactly what happened.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Actually, the prices generally seem to be less than LFS pricing. Don't expect a super cherry show coral to be discounted, but if you buy a bunch of frags from one vendor go ahead and try and make a deal. If you are buying 4 pieces for $100, ask if they will give you a 5th piece for free. It never hurts to ask.

Also, there are super discounted prices at the donation bins, in fact a lot of corals are given away for free.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've always made out well pricewise. Not to mention the selection is always better than any LFS.

Sometimes the vendors bring the cherry stuff and it's not discounted much. But you don't have to pay shipping on that rare coral you can't find in the LFS.

You won't be disappointed if you go. I really miss them now that I no longer live up there. The local events down here do NOT even come close to the MR swaps. Don't take it for granted and skip it.

Wes

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Throughout the years, the MR frag swaps has been getting better and better IMO. Its great to buy a ton of different corals. Even if you visit a great shop, this is like a bunch of great LFS all in 1. You can never bring enough money to buy everything you want.
There are great people there too to meet. Also lunch is free!

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
I have to agree it is a great event I look forward to the swaps. This will be my 3rd one. When I attended my 1st and 2nd I didn't even have a tank set up I just wanted to get to meet a few people who I chatted with online and learn some stuff. It really is more about just getting together with everyone and having a good time in my opinion. I personally never bought anything from the swaps yet coral wise because my tank wasn't set up and some of the prices were definitely high but like everyone said there is specials usually at the end of the day when the vendors don't want to bring the stuff back plus you can always get good deals from members and just meet there. It's convenient, let's say someone from NJ or PA has something you want and it's a hike for you but they are going to the swap which people do come from all angles of the world to attend lol. It makes the impossible possible. ;) Meeting on neutral ground. You should come bro! How's the 92 coming along?

C

craig4040

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
I am looking forward to attending my first Swap! I have heard so many good things about it, can't wait!!!

tentacles

cephalopod enthusiast
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
Some vendors have higher price points than others, but almost everything is priced lower than you would find online/at your LFS. There are vendors that come from out of state, as well as vendors that may be far from you, so you have the benefit of checking out the piece before you commit to buying it (you can see exactly how big it is, what type of lights it's under, etc.)

Like others said, usually if you're buying more than one thing, the vendors will cut you a deal. They also work really hard to provide something for everybody (for example- a colony of something for $150, and smaller, healed frags off that colony for $25. This way everybody gets to enjoy :) )

+ you get to meet all the wonderful people you talk to on the internet!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: