cybermeez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
Just a heads up with these cute little buggers. They likely won't eat like ORA claims they will.

I still can't get my 3 (1 male and 2 females) to consistently accept frosen food, much less pellets. In fact one female has refused everything except - what else - live pods. I've even tried the mandarin diner. They go in but ignore the food and instead hunt for pods on the sides of the jar. I've heard many stories similar to mine. Just be prepared and ready to provide lots of pods if needed.

jcolon2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I have heard stories like yours as well. To be honest (I am completely for captive breeding) but the expensive price of ORA and the repetition of you story has me contemplating just purchasing a wil caught mandarin and trying out my luck (even though it goes against my better judgment).

cybermeez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
Me too. Even if they will only eat pods I'd prefer one that is captive bred. I have a wild caught male blue mandarin and the 3 little green ones. I'm holding out for a captive bred female blue to give my little guy a companion.

jcolon2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
True. I guess I will resist temptation and stick to my guns. Where did you buy your mandarins? I am looking for a spotted dragonette and a green/red mandarin. Although I can only afford one right now lol. My tank was loaded with pods but that is not the case due to my crash not too long ago. Time to restock with pods and livestock now that the tank is doing better.

pweissma

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I also had a bad experience with an ORA green mandarin. The ORA blues might be a bit better. I think these fish are too young and not as accepting of prepared food as ORA claims. They are raised in barren steal tanks making me think they may have a hard time acclimating to a reef tank with other fish and inverts. Mine was the size of a large hermit crab.

richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I think my ora spotted mandarin never learned how to eat! I take live copepods into a squirter thingy and i shoot it at its face and it the copepod hits its face and walks away. However, he's still alive so im going to assume he's eating

cybermeez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
True. I guess I will resist temptation and stick to my guns. Where did you buy your mandarins? I am looking for a spotted dragonette and a green/red mandarin. Although I can only afford one right now lol. My tank was loaded with pods but that is not the case due to my crash not too long ago. Time to restock with pods and livestock now that the tank is doing better.

I got mine at House of Fins.

guarda

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Does anyone have a good link on how to train a mandarin goby to eat prepared food? Thanks!

Don't want to hijack this thread but in a nutshell this is what I did. Made an acrylic feeding station for $2 with parts from Canal Plastics as seen below. Just drill a hole and make sure it's a tight fit, otherwise get some acrylic epoxy or bond, whatever. Asked lfs to throw some live brine in the mandarin tank and chose the first one that went for it. He was very skinny and emaciated so I figured he'd have a better chance with me than with lfs or even worse, a casual fish buyer.

Got home and gut fed a cup of live brine with selcon and squeezed some down the station every day for a week.
After a week, every time I'd come near the tank he'd zoom right into the station and hang out there.
Started mixing one or two pieces of frozen brine until he accidentally ate a piece and realized it was food. This was the longest step. Took a while. Then gradually put more and more frozen brine and less and less live brine.
Once you totally wean him off live brine, DO NOT give him live brine again, even if it's just a treat. It will take him longer to totally accept frozen. Then, after he's only on frozen brine, do the same with mysis.

This is what worked for me. Also, if you have other fish that will eat everything before the mandarin does, stick the feeder in a corner surrounded by rocks. Mandarins swim on the floor, upside down, and go places most other fish can't get to.

Hope this helps,
Art

2zs056e.jpg

167l0gi.jpg

Last edited:
T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Don't want to hijack this thread but in a nutshell this is what I did. Made an acrylic feeding station for $2 with parts from Canal Plastics as seen below. Just drill a hole and make sure it's a tight fit, otherwise get some acrylic epoxy or bond, whatever. Asked lfs to throw some live brine in the mandarin tank and chose the first one that went for it. He was very skinny and emaciated so I figured he'd have a better chance with me than with lfs or even worse, a casual fish buyer.

Got home and gut fed a cup of live brine with selcon and squeezed some down the station every day for a week.
After a week, every time I'd come near the tank he'd zoom right into the station and hang out there.
Started mixing one or two pieces of frozen brine until he accidentally ate a piece and realized it was food. This was the longest step. Took a while. Then gradually put more and more frozen brine and less and less live brine.
Once you totally wean him off live brine, DO NOT give him live brine again, even if it's just a treat. It will take him longer to totally accept frozen. Then, after he's only on frozen brine, do the same with mysis.

This is what worked for me. Also, if you have other fish that will eat everything before the mandarin does, stick the feeder in a corner surrounded by rocks. Mandarins swim on the floor, upside down, and go places most other fish can't get to.

Hope this helps,
Art

2zs056e.jpg

167l0gi.jpg
cool!!

jcolon2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Well, I now have a spotted mandarin baby eating prepared food. I went to Tropical Island Aquarium in Deer Park just to see what they had. They had a bunch of beautiful stuff and a lot of ORA libestock. No ORA mandarins though. But the owner said that the mandarin in one of the tanks I was lookign at was eating prepared food. I was skeptical but he willingly fed the mandarin in front of me. The mandarin went crazy over the frozen food. : ) I bought it.

guarda

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
That is awesome, congratulations! Any pics yet?

Well, I now have a spotted mandarin baby eating prepared food. I went to Tropical Island Aquarium in Deer Park just to see what they had. They had a bunch of beautiful stuff and a lot of ORA libestock. No ORA mandarins though. But the owner said that the mandarin in one of the tanks I was lookign at was eating prepared food. I was skeptical but he willingly fed the mandarin in front of me. The mandarin went crazy over the frozen food. : ) I bought it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: