brick-brothers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
338   0   0
I just bought a 60 cube off another member. I want make it an sps tank. I already have a 120g mix reef which is doing good even though my water par is alil off. So for this cube, what fish should I keep in there? The main fish I want for it is a black tang. Should I go bare bottom? I was thinking of putting black sand i saw in a lfs. Help me out here guys.

Also what skimmer, light, pumps etc should I used? I was thinking about building a LED fix for it since I built 1 for my 120g.

Last edited:

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
I duno bout LEDs for a all sps tank I'm sure people will disagree with me but I think you are better with a halide the growth is so much better. A single 250w or 400 w pendant would do fine and then maybe some LED's for actinic. For that I think they are great but not for growth or atleast in my experience. Black sand is the WORST sure it looks cool and sleek when you 1st put it in but then after a week it looks liek crap. As soon as 1 fish takes a dump it will show. The sand will look very very cruddy and loses the shimmer so def do not do that. Especially if you are going SPS def go bare bottom like my tank. I don't think I would ever use sand again. GL bro can't wait to see the new set up!

CONSTANTNE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I say you do white sand or that star board people use. For skimmer I use a Vertex IN 100 and never had a problem with it. Also look into the SWC skimmers which I hear good things about and wont hurt your wallet.

What are the dimensions of the tank btw?

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
No idea where to get star board but I know it would def grow algae on it easier than glass for sure. A friend of mine has a 120 w/ star board and diy LED's and still gets a good amount of algae growth. I say try the bare bottom it's a cleaner look and so easy to clean you could just take the rock and fish out vacuum out the bottom and put it back in that's what I do every so often. Keeps it very clean and Phos and Nitrate levels low. People think that changing the water matters..if you don't get all the built up crap and free floating debris out of the tank you can do 100 water changes and still have bad water quality. Just my personal experience. I will definitely be looking forward to seeing the tank however you decide to do it.

Rating - 100%
127   0   0
what i did ...made a list of equipment,rock structure, lights and what coral/fish i wanted to keep(im not sure of this yet lol but i still got time) ....then work around it plan it right, take your time and see what works for you. thats good you have ideas allready.. thats the start. you planning on using an ato?

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
my 45 is getting

pair of clowns (picasso/snowflakes)
midas blenny
Scott fairy wrasse
1 ORA tank bred mandarin (will make sure eats frozen food prior to buying)

that's my wish list. not expensive fish but i think they are all very unique.

if i had a 60 or larger. go with a chevron tang.

2004turbo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
not to rag on you but I wouldn't put a tang in a 60 cube. Not enought room for a fish that'll grow to at least 8". Also if you do decide to get a tang I would most definately not put a $700 black tang in there. The odds of it dying are pretty high I would think and I would hate to have to put a $700 fish in the trash...

brick-brothers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
338   0   0
I have a 120 as backup for when the tang gets bigger. But any fish I get is going to be small.

not to rag on you but I wouldn't put a tang in a 60 cube. Not enought room for a fish that'll grow to at least 8". Also if you do decide to get a tang I would most definately not put a $700 black tang in there. The odds of it dying are pretty high I would think and I would hate to have to put a $700 fish in the trash...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: