alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
i know what i'm SUPPOSED to do!! :sigh1:
i did change about 30 gals of water (on my 200 gal system) to dilute the effects. but now i am guessing i may have done it too soon (within the first 2 hours) before they released their toxins perhaps?
i am running the carbon actively in a full phosban reactor of carbon.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
alrha said:
i know what i'm SUPPOSED to do!! :sigh1:
i did change about 30 gals of water (on my 200 gal system) to dilute the effects. but now i am guessing i may have done it too soon (within the first 2 hours) before they released their toxins perhaps?
i am running the carbon actively in a full phosban reactor of carbon.

Dude no need to yell:tired: .

30 gallons on the system doesn't seem like much, thats what I was planning on doing with my 65g when I treat.

Supposedly as soon as they die they start releasing toxins, by you not siphoning. I'm just thinking you left them in the tank to rot[at a loss for a better word]. According to the instructions it should work in 30 -45 mins. So with that changing water after 2 hours should be fine, but siphoning them out is key.

It also says 1lb of carbon per 50g of tank water, but you probably already knew that too :sigh1:

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
nanoreefer22 said:
Dude no need to yell:tired: .
It also says 1lb of carbon per 50g of tank water, but you probably already knew that too :sigh1:
Kris, i'm not yelling at you, just at that little part of my brain that kept saying 'eh, relax, dont get caught up, everything will be fine".
30 gals may not be a lot for my system, but it is still a lot of water. that is 6x 5 gallon buckets.
i am also aware of the 1lb carbon / 50 gallon suggestion, but i cant fit more than what fits in the the reactor (2 lbs?)
i have nobody to blame but myself, i am aware.
it's just that when i went to sleep last night and when i woke up this morning, everything looked just fine, so i figured i was ok. it wasnt till i got home tonight that i realized what happened.
now i am curious what kind of damage these toxins do, permanent, or temporary.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
alrha said:
Kris, i'm not yelling at you, just at that little part of my brain that kept saying 'eh, relax, dont get caught up, everything will be fine".
30 gals may not be a lot for my system, but it is still a lot of water. that is 6x 5 gallon buckets.
i am also aware of the 1lb carbon / 50 gallon suggestion, but i cant fit more than what fits in the the reactor (2 lbs?)
i have nobody to blame but myself, i am aware.
it's just that when i went to sleep last night and when i woke up this morning, everything looked just fine, so i figured i was ok. it wasnt till i got home tonight that i realized what happened.
now i am curious what kind of damage these toxins do, permanent, or temporary.

It's cool Albert, just seems like these past days everyones been on this alert mode[even me]. It seems as if the littlest things are just, you know. Hope it works out. If you have a HOB filter just run some carbon in there too if you could. I think the toxins are temporary but you have to remove them manually or keep changing out the carbon and skim a lot to get it all out. At least to be able to get it down to a level where its not toxic.

Anyways dude I'm out for the night, pooped:sleepy:.
Night,
Kris

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Tonyscoots84 said:
as long as u learn from your mistake that all that matters.... :lol: :joke:

hows everything as of now with the tank.. is it too much to ask to take a pic.. and show us...

Reef Lesson # 101[It's that number in the rule book]
When a man says his entire tank appears to be bleached, you need not ask for a picture :lol: :joke: I just had to before I go to sleep...hehehehe

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
a picture is something i wouldnt want to remind me of this.
besides, my camera is out for repair, so i dont have it (i guess all good things happen together) :sigh1:
yes tony, i learned me lesson, not to look for comforting from you :lol:
kris, you know me better than that by now, unless you plan on striking, there is no need to worry about me :cool3:
i guess i will change out the carbon now (although i cant imagine it is already all used up)

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Hi Albert,
I just read your posts. I'm soooo sorry to hear about your situation. I can't offer anything that will turn back time on your tank. I don't know the amount of FW's you had, or what the level of toxicity is so the only thing I can say is do a huge water change, skim very wet and change out the carbon. I would also leave your lights off for a day (storms at sea can last a week with no light to the reefs) so that shouldn't be an issue.

Keep us posted and I know I speak for everyone when I say we all hope for the best bro.

Russ

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
ok, i added a bag of carbon hanging in the main display tank (this way i can keep the carbon currently in the phosban reactor too i case it still has life in it).
lights are on VHO only.
i noticed my clam is open a some zoos as well.
the corals are not dead, just VERY pale, so i am really hoping that they will just bounce back as soon as the toxins clear up.

i had a lot of flatworms and i think they all died in one shot - i was hoping to just be able to kill half at a time to limit the toxin level.

i should have more water ready in the morning for some more water changes before i go to work...

thanks for your concern russ - now go get some rest...

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Night bud and rest easy, you did what you could. Wake up early enough to empty your skimmer cup in case it needs it. Remember, no more than VHO's for a few days.

Sleep well, someone should, I freakin' can't.

master

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
ok, gonna change another 5 gals now before going to work, and now i have enough water to change another 20 gals or so at least.
My Anthia came out to feed this morning as well, so the only one left still hiding is my Bellus Angel - but i see her hiding, so i know she is alive.

it appears to me that things are starting to get better. the corals are still VERY pale, but i have high hopes.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Sounds like a good report this morning. Glad to hear it. I mentioned in my post it took almost all my corals two days to reopen. But I did siphon out my FW's for 3 straight days before treatment too.

I'm very glad your recovery prospects are improving. Don't let this episode scare you from doing your next dose. Let everything recover and then BANG them again. Even if you have one left in there somewhere, it will eventually become an infestation again. Besides, you've already killed probably 99% of them. So whatever toxins are left will be negligible.

I know how scarey that first sight of 'death warmed over' can be.

Russ

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
masterswimmer said:
Sounds like a good report this morning. Glad to hear it. I mentioned in my post it took almost all my corals two days to reopen. But I did siphon out my FW's for 3 straight days before treatment too.

I'm very glad your recovery prospects are improving. Don't let this episode scare you from doing your next dose. Let everything recover and then BANG them again. Even if you have one left in there somewhere, it will eventually become an infestation again. Besides, you've already killed probably 99% of them. So whatever toxins are left will be negligible.

I know how scarey that first sight of 'death warmed over' can be.

Russ

ditto i hope everything works out best which it should...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: