KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
After seeing the video it's obvious they don't need us to set up a tank for them.

While your original idea was thoughtful public aquariums need to have the funding to run an operation like this. NY Aquarium does have financial issues as they do make appeals to the local aquarium clubs for funds to buy things as simple as chairs never mind the large purchases of equipment that setting up a reef tank requires.

The Brooklyn Aquarium Society is based out of the aquarium in Coney Island and they have ALWAYS been willing to help them with anything that would be needed for both FW & SW set ups. The BAS has set up many tanks around Brooklyn in the public school system and provides ongoing support for them. You might want to join that club and volunteer to help with the tank set ups that they do handle at the schools :)

Calling the aquarium would be a nice idea to inquire if they would be interested in coral donations, but I doubt they would be looking for the little 3/4" frags that some would consider a donation, but best to ask. Colonies would be more in line with what they might require and public aquariums - even places like Atlantis - do trade corals between each other to add to the varieties they keep

As far as donating fish - NO fish would be moved from your home tank straight into their reef tank...it would be QT'd first IF they even chose to accept the fish at all. Unfortunately public aquariums get MANY calls from folks looking to 'drop off' their fish when they get too large and do keep in mind many of those people making the calls are not on sites like MR, there are many who don't chat on forums but who do purchase fish without considering their eventual size. I'd hope the people who regularly read MR would NOT be buying inappropriately sized fish in the first place that they know will outgrow their systems as too many of those fish end up dead.
That is truly a waste and public aquariums do quickly become saturated with large fish which is sad.

Sorry to be another Debbie Downer, but that is how it is out there...

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
This is a great Idea, as well as a tremendous undertaking.

I can say that growing up in NY has its benefits. From museums to galleries, from botanical gardens to the landmarks, and yes from the Bronx zoo to the NY Aquarium. Sadly though the NY Aquarium has never reached its full potential, for whatever the reason. I would say that part of that is due to not having a group of individuals who actually care about the project as opposed to someone who is just doing their job. For some a job just pays the bills, while for others that same job is the most important thing they have ever done. Case in point are the aquarium stores we like to go to as opposed to the ones that we warn others not to patronize. Those store we love are the ones where the workers care about the livestock.

Now back to my point, True the Brooklyn Aquarium Society does affiliate itself with the Aquarium but at times I've heard many consider them more of a freshwater club than a reef club. And while many here complain that the saltwater exhibits are lacking, is this idea not worth considering ?

With all the knowledge here on MR we could do great things at the NY Aquarium. I understand the negative comments and Agree with some but how about if we take some of those negative ideas and think of a few positive ones instead. Maybe with this group we can make a positive change at the aquarium.

Give them a call Saltwaterinbrooklyn and see what they say, keep us posted.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Be positive. Don't give up on ourselves, New Yorkers.
Pratreef is built with a lot of donations and if there is just one enthusiast working in NY Aquarium to co-ordinate our donations, we can recreate the wonders of Pratreef. May be the MR fall swap can happen in Brooklyn NY Aquarium too.

solo

Got Vodka?
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
Well Tony I can't see why not I think between all of us we have the potential to exhibit a great deal of knowledge about the worlds oceans to put-on display for people to ooh and ahh over , however I have begun making calls and Monday I'll be busy trying to get info from the aquarium I have some good ideas towards getting a solid and definite answer as to how this will play out , I'll keep you guys posted.

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
well folks , my journey was short and i finally got the shaking head from the aquarium , its not gonna happen but i think over all it was a good idea and i wanted to thank everyone for the honest advice and opinions , its always good to have a clear outlook on such a venture, but i wont stop here believe me the wheels are still turning.

bigbris1

Re-reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Perhaps you could direct some of that enthusiasm toward NYC schools that don't currently have a tank. Kudos for trying but I would look for opportunities where they aren't already 'wet'.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: