aborrero4u

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Hey MR, So I just brought this Remora Pro Protein Skimmer from Kwong here on MR, and need some info. I am getting a bit confused, I have no pump for it and see there is the option of a mag drive 3 pump or a rio 1400 to run it. Whats the difference? I dont know which one to pick, and I dont know how many more pieces I need to get this skimmer off the ground and running. Attached is a pic. of what I have. If some one who has had a Remora Pro Protein skimmer, could shed some light, it would be much appreciated. Do I need some pvc pipe, or plastic fitting to connect the mag 3 or rio 1400 once I get it? Please advise, and thanks so much in advance...

Alex B.

Attachments

• skimmer.jpg
    skimmer.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

bigbris1

Re-reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I believe the Mag is rated at 350 gph and the Rio at 375 gph so that is basically a matter of preference as I think you'd only need a ~350 gph pump to run this model. Based on your pic above it looks like you'd also need a clamp to secure the pump to the inlet pipe and the rubber band to adjust the collection cup height.

To use the collection cup on the top with the optional drain you'd need some tubing going to a container to collect the skimmate.

Last edited:

bizzarro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought both pumps but when I fitted the Mag 3 the footprint into the tank it was too big so I opted for the thinner Rio. The RIO is rated for 420GPH.

I used a piece of tubing to connect to the pump nozzle and the AquaC but once I actually used it, one of the seams that's supposedly to keep bubbles out has a gap which I've yet to repair. I wonder if that's common with this.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
same here when i had it , used tubbing to connect to pump and use some clamps. great skimmer when i first started but the only thing that drived me crazy was the micro bubbles

Last edited:

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
You need vinyl tubing, You can pick that up at home depot. They also make plastic clamps that can be bought in most LFS, just tell them what you are looking to do with them. Home depot near me also carries Zip Ties that are reusable. They will work also, just gotta pull them tight enough. Make sure they are the reusable ones so you can just release them instead of cutting them off.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
When I started the hobby, there were some issues with the Rio pumps, so I always opted for the Mag pumps. You'll need a pump -> hose barb connector for the outlet of the pump (not sure if they include them), and the tubing to connect that to the hose barb on the skimmer. As was mentioned, you'll probably want to tie these on with plastic hose clamps.

Also, I don't see the O ring that is usually on the cup to adjust the level of the collection cup. You can order one, or get some skinny vinyl tubing and tie it tight around the cup. Not as pretty, but it works just as well.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: