KurtL

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I noticed 2 nights ago that i wass missing all 3 of my sunny d's except for a small scrap of flesh on the rock. Now last night I come home and almost all my mohawks are gone like no tissue left nothing. I looked with a flashlight after lights out didnt see anything except this black and white worm that would open its mouth in the water then retracct his head completely inside itself. Im thinking a eunicid worm is eating them? should I try with a blue light? Please help

KurtL

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im pretty positive the worm I saw was a filter feeder and he was just minding his own business when I saw him. I dont think nudibranchs or a snail could eat multiple polyps in one night but a worm might.

tentacles

cephalopod enthusiast
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
Im pretty positive the worm I saw was a filter feeder and he was just minding his own business when I saw him. I dont think nudibranchs or a snail could eat multiple polyps in one night but a worm might.

Think again, nudis can take down zoas pretty quickly. Do a dip and inspect for eggs, but also keep an eye out for asterias.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

KurtL

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think again, nudis can take down zoas pretty quickly. Do a dip and inspect for eggs, but also keep an eye out for asterias.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs
In my experiance nudis that eat zoas will eat them night and day but this only happens at night. Anyway last night I didnt lose anything else. Im still keeping my eyes open though tonight.

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
If you have moonlights that is the best way to see whats going on if not then maybe periodically check using a flash light. Do you see any astertinas on your glass or anything? They are in damn near every tank. I took every piece of rock out of my tank inspected thoroughly and I still couldn't get them all because here and there I see them. Any time I find them I pull them out and chuck'em

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
In my experiance nudis that eat zoas will eat them night and day but this only happens at night. Anyway last night I didnt lose anything else. Im still keeping my eyes open though tonight.

Then I take it you are aware that if it is Nudis - they turn the color of the zoa they are eating, so they can be difficult to spot...especially the smaller ones.
Also nudis can be found on your glass at night sometimes, no idea why, but when I had them long ago, that is how I discovered them.

Best of luck catching whatever is eating yours, I went through it too and lost half of mine a few years ago to the asterinas...and unfortunately many still do not believe that certain types of asterinas can wipe out zoas in record speed :(

KurtL

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am fully aware that they change the color of the polyps theyre eating. Pretty cool to see actually. Harlequin shrimp do an excellent job of taking out asterinas but in a larger tank I doubt theyll ever be able to get all of them. Another night without any losses very strange.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: