Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Just stumbled across this. I'm pretty excited, it's 15 minutes from my parents house in Columbus, Ohio! They seem to be doing a lot of really great research as well as stocking 80% aquacultured corals.

PBS special: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3YyHJedTq4

Awesome tank transfer video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIqH-_aAJms&feature=related

I posted a few months ago about how much aquarium adventure sucked in ohio, Reef Systems is such a find for me. I can't wait to go home and see what this place is really like. (I will take photos and upload them probably end of August)

Last edited:

Lunareclipse

Fishes are cuddly
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'll have to look this place up. I didn't know it existed. I know about the coral farm in Vermillion Ohio, though. But this place here would be closer to us than Vermillion. I wished I knew about it yesterday. We were at Phishy Business and Aquarium Adventure. Aquarium Adventure is WAY overpriced and the people act like pompous jackasses. They know a lot, but treat you like an idiot while explaining it to you. Phishy Business is awesome. We love going there. They are knowledgeable and treat you like respectable human beings. And people can afford things at Phishy's.

Nassau

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if what he says relating to propagating is coming under the requirements to qualify as a "coral farm" rather than a fish store.

Farmers get tax reductions and lower untilitiy rates in most part of the country, but when I see imported rock it begs the question that he may be more of a frag farm.

But he did a nice job setting it up the green house, if you tried to do that on LI you need have LIPA as a partner. :lol:

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Just went to the farm this afternoon. All I have to say is WOW. It was really really incredible. The coral selection wasn't quite what we get in New York City, but then again, everything is grown on site. The guys there were really nice, although, the owner seemed really stressed/not that personable right off the bat. Makes me not want to own a store, ever. The big tubs are lit completely by the sun during the summer, however they use metal halide during the winter. It's really incredible the difference in color evident from using the lights we have grown accustomed to versus the natural sun. One of the guys said the sun puts out a par of 1600 on the tanks! They actually have to shade out some of the natural light. They have a project working with Ohio State currently in the works to study the effects of CO2 on the corals. Anyways, here are some photos that I took.

img_4406.jpg

img_3407.jpg

img_2178.jpg

img_1575.jpg

img_2448.jpg

img_8688.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: