sroot17

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Does anyone have any helpful tips when it comes to switching out a stand? I'm going to be keeping my tank in the exact same location but am looking to get a better stand so that I can add a sump.

Currently have a 50g.

I really hope I don't have to tear everything down which might not be worth it.

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
unless you have a better idea of moving a couple of hundred pounds of water rock and sand... you are going to be looking at a breakdown taking down the water and rock.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Pretty much what skene said.

I'm also imagining the horror of any rockwork that was piled up nicely, smacking one of the sides of the tank during the handling and the hustling.

If you must persevere, drain as much water and remove as much rock as you can. I'm assuming you'll have helping hands at your call?

Pallobi

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo, if you setup a temporary stand near the one you have now, remove most of the water but not all, and keep the rock very wet while doing this transfer, you should be able to lift the tank with a friend or two, to the temp stand and quickly replace the existing stand with the new one, then quickly, but carefully put the tank back to its original spot, but on the new stand, and refill with water before anything else... if done with planning and patience, but a hustle without being careless, it shouldnt be too tough as long as you dont have a ton of sand and rock in there and dont have to move it far... GL

i have done this before myself with a 40g breeder... but again, be careful, even a 50g can be quite heavier than you think

NanoAquatic

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.5%
364   2   0
Move the tank after you remove as much things in there as possible. From experience, I tried to move a tank with some good amount of volume of water and livestock and the rear cracked. If your tank is not balanced during the lift with all that weight, it'll crack for sure. I ended up throwing away the tank, sand and the liverocks because I didn't want any glass particles getting stuck in my hand. Thank God it wasn't a big setup though.

LatinP

Look at my bare bottom!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
It's not worth it, do this the right way. One mistake could cost you your tank, a wet room, livestock or worse your tank could bust open with you right next to it.

Take your time do this the right way get buckets or other holding containers and break everything down, taking shortcuts can be dangerous not only to your fish and corals.

Pallobi

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not worth it, do this the right way. One mistake could cost you your tank, a wet room, livestock or worse your tank could bust open with you right next to it.

Take your time do this the right way get buckets or other holding containers and break everything down, taking shortcuts can be dangerous not only to your fish and corals.

another great point... probably the best one yet :)

sroot17

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Thanks everyone for the advise. I'm going to think through this very carefully to determine the best way to make the transfer. Leanings towards a 90% plus drain of the tank and the removal of a couple of pieces of unsteady LR along with any that have coral attached.

Will keep everyone updated on how it goes!

Lunareclipse

Fishes are cuddly
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

So very true. I put my knee through a 29 gallon freshwater tank trying to move it wiout breaking it down. It wasn't very pretty. I had to go get 33 stitches and clean up water and dead fishes everywhere. I never did get the smell out of my carpet and had to end up replacing it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: