KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Never heard of that either, had a melanarus that never touched clams......perhaps the clam was dead and wrasse was eating it after the fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

+1
Did you see it eating it while it was still in its shell or did you come home and find the shell empty and the wrasse picking at the clam meat elsewhere in the tank?

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Yes, I had thesame problem and since then, no clams for me. My Radiant wrasse devastated my clam and he started picking on it seconds after it opened in my tank. My blenny joined the party shortly after and I had to remove the clam.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I'm assuming that there were probably flatworms or something else crawling on the clam and the Melanarus was just removing them. I doubt the Melanarus was attacking the clam unless it wasn't being fed properly.

As for the other wrasses, if you put a non-reefsafe wrasse in your tank why would you expect any other result? Two seconds of research would have yielded that information and prevented the damage. Or at the very least ask the seller about them.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
My wrasse was definitely after clam's mantle, he was very passionate about eating it. I fed him well but I guess you're never know with wrasses. I have a christmas wrasse now and while he is modern citizen he likes to eat a snail from time to time, which I've never seen before in other wrasses. Unpredictable little buggers:)

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Yes, some Melanarus eat clams. As soon as i saw the title i knew it was a Melanarus wrasse the culprit. Oceanrealm sold his because of this a few years agoon here.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I have never seen or heard of a melanuras wrasse attacking or eating a HEALTHY clam. If they smell impending death all bets are off with most fish.

Hmm, maybe that was my problem. The wrasse attacked the clam immediately after I put it in the tank so it could have been be sick. The other thing was that blenny joined the feeding frenzy along with the wrasse. Do you heard Randy about blennies harassing clams? I would like to have one but I'm afraid it's gonna be eaten again.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: