Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Great response from MA, Explains a lot....MA went above and beyond, just as expected!

For the record: i have been there many times and always get help.
I have used then for a 10 day long daily feeding and checking up on tank when I was out of country, and when there was an issue they said to me "what can we do to make it right", and they meant it! They did exacty what i asked for, and to top it off, it is debatable how at fault they were. They take very good care of their customers and are honest to people when advice is asked, ive never heard bad advice given to make a sale or bc of lack of knowledge (as many places do).
They also give a 10% MR discount!

How could you bash this place?!?!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
It's funny, I guess individual people interpret things differently.

If the store employees are following customers around some people would complain that they are pushing sales on them.

If they dont follow you around too make a sale, then people assume that they are unfriendly and ignoring them.

Some people charge a lot of money for crap, at this store it is certainly not the case. Read up a little on MA and you would know this.

In all seriousness all of their fish and livestock is labeled. If they had someone following me around I would be uncomfortable and want to leave.

Since they dont bother me, i have time to pull out my iPhone to research livestock I came across.

This shouldn't be a car salesman atmosphere.

johnsonlee42

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I'm glad Joe chimed in as well. While I love the hobby, I'm not the type to put down a few hundred dollars for a few zoas. I can't say how many times I've been to MA to buy a $10 or $15 frag, and never have I felt like I wasn't given as much attention as the customer that is buying a $200 showpiece. I'm definitely looking forward to what they're offering this weekend!

zenfish

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone who says they have been ignored at MA is full of crud... if you want someone up your butt, go to a proctologist, not an aquarium shop...

and so now MA had to pay 2 guys 2 hours of overtime for dealing with some schmuck, and people wonder why.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
i had visited the store several times and it had always been pleasant. i never felt ignored nor had questions gone unanswered. the staff are some of the more knowledgeable people in comparison with any surrounding lfs. they have some of the best selections of livestock around. i would say the prices appropriately reflect the selections, quality, and location. i have paid much more for worse stuff. there are stores in jersey that charge more than MA and i'm sure the overhead in jersey is no where near manhattan's.
i do agree that i felt more comfortable with some of the former employees... perhaps because i have come to know them over the years. although i have not visited the store recently, i would still recommend MA to other reefers.

FaviaFreak

Aquarium Village
Rating - 93.6%
44   3   0
I was at manhattan aquariums this afternoon at around 630 and i gotta admit i was a bit uncomfortable about this thread , and please know that i was not swayed or pressured in any way by this thread but it was on my mind for a few reasons.

1) i never had a bad experiance at m.a. I have been to the shop at 1230pm , i have been to the store at late afternoon and on weekends!! Its never dead or totaly empty, and when it has been empty , the employees are running around like maniacs doin water changes and maintanance on the tanks !

2) i have never had a question that was not answered or that went ignored, if the person didnt have the answer he would get someone that did ! I know we all have issues at home with our own tanks so you can imagine how it must be doing it on these bigger tanks , and also how hard it must be when a group of guys has to tend to the entire tourist city of manhattan!! I have been to jersey shops where a bunch of guys sit around like star wars geeks discussing light sabres and thats the pace they operate at , here in tourist country , this shop deals with those who know reefs, those who know nothing about reefs and tourists who wanna look around and ask a million questions.

3) some of us have become saltwater gurus and would like others to lay out a red carpet upon our arrival cause they spend a couple of hundred dollars and expect to be treated like royalty and may have even developed a friendship with some of the employees at manhattan aquariums but face it , some of us like to go there and spend zero money and absorb the staffs time talking about our tanks only cause we feel like talking coral!! And now you wanna criticise them!!!! Guys get real its a business not a club house !! I went todsy for a large bucket of salt , did i get it yes and did they talk a bit with me yes was it work related absolutely and was the floor wet from a group of guys sweating and doing tank maintanance ? Totaly and the tanks looked good And the corals looked awesome!!!!

This thread was about a specific issue and now its a gripe session , and i guarantee some of the babies that have used this thread to increase thread counts will be there this weekend yet killing the staffs time!!!! I guess reefing is also for children !! Grow up boys!

well said Brotha

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Great response from MA, Explains a lot....MA went above and beyond, just as expected!

For the record: i have been there many times and always get help.
I have used then for a 10 day long daily feeding and checking up on tank when I was out of country, and when there was an issue they said to me "what can we do to make it right", and they meant it! They did exacty what i asked for, and to top it off, it is debatable how at fault they were. They take very good care of their customers and are honest to people when advice is asked, ive never heard bad advice given to make a sale or bc of lack of knowledge (as many places do).
They also give a 10% MR discount!

How could you bash this place?!?!

Amen to the 5th power Phil 1+

zenfish

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been to jersey shops where a bunch of guys sit around like star wars geeks discussing light sabres

Guys get real its a business not a club house !!

ahahah! YEAH BOY-EEEE! You set 'em straight!

Hey lets all get together at Pacific Aquariums and watch the staff smoke cigarettes and play poker while they ignore us.

Lets go to Royal Aquariums and see what kind of prices they pull out of their butts since nothing is priced and they make stuff up depending on "who" you are.

Hey lets all go to MA and waste everyones time telling them about this new LED fixture we built out of old Christmas Tree lights, and how we are going to frag our zoas and make billions of dollars and save the dolphins and the whales.

Bob newhart this hobby has turned into a farce!

Last edited by a moderator:

NDY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
330   0   0
TRIGGERMAN said:
. Half the people in this hobby can't afford it in the first place so you really can't blame a store for having high prices when so many of you want everything for FREE anyway.

Lol this actually so true good one triggerman

sent from my EVO using reef

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
ahahah! YEAH BOY-EEEE! You set 'em straight!

Hey lets all get together at Pacific Aquariums and watch the staff smoke cigarettes and play poker while they ignore us.

Lets go to Royal Aquariums and see what kind of prices they pull out of their butts since nothing is priced and they make stuff up depending on "who" you are.

Hey lets all go to MA and waste everyones time telling them about this new LED fixture we built out of old Christmas Tree lights, and how we are going to frag our zoas and make billions of dollars and save the dolphins and the whales.

jesus christ this hobby has turned into a farce!

And this post contributed what to the discussion other than to bad mouth 2 stores that have NOTHING to do with the subject. Yep Farce....

Flipper

Relaxing on the Reefin
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Guess i will be making the trip this weekend after all since i cant make the swap this time around..(wife full term and expecting a baby around that time)

Cant wait to see what goodies will be there for thier event.

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
thats right, it is a farce.

do you want a discount with that?

Nope don't need one. But thanks for offering. Another quality post.... just like these I see.....Nice to see you starting to contribute. 8 year member and 84 posts :tired:

wow what a fluffy.... call the store and find out what days he works.... nice to come on here and insult the staff of MA

F&W dont know their feet from their elbow. I had one guy once give a store I worked in a ticket/summons for a lizard without a water bowl... a plastic lizard!!!! A coworker took the plastic lizard out of the tank and started banging it against the counter to show the guy it was a fake!

I took the trip in once to see what MA was all about. Impressive store w a nice selection the day I was there. Must have gone at a popular time because there was a lot of people in the store. Did anyone come up to me and ask if they could help me? Nope. Does that mean I would never go there again? Nope. If I wanted something I could have asked.

I don't care how great a store is there is ALWAYS the chance that you can run into the one guy/girl who is having a bad day. It happens.

Looking to purchase as much as the OP did I would have gone a little earlier or on another day when I could have taken my time going over stuff.

Every store has good/bad days. Let's leave it at that....

Gbagz21

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I stopped posting because I didn't want to stir up drama, I was just letting everyone know about my experience and how poorly I was treated just looking out for my fellow reefers I got my tank so I'm happy now no need to cause problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: