NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
here is some of the skimmer's i have used and opinions on them. all skimmers have been used on systems from 60g-80g heavy stocked
first is my current skimmer vertex in100 gen 3 in which i replaced the factory pump with a atb mini airstar pump. this has been my favorite skimmer so far as far as performance and reliability.

second is a euroreef cs8-2 which had a sedra 5000 on it and replaced it with a sicce 2500 which was a little improvement as too me the factory sedra 5000 even modded wasnt enough for it, was really over sized for my system

thrid is a etss sump buddy 40 that i modded, these dont have a collection ring on the collection cup cap nor did they have holes in the cap to eleviate some of the back pressure, loved this skimmer other then the noise of a down draft

Attachments

• skimmer 1.jpg
    skimmer 1.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 813
  • skimmer in100 airstar 014.jpg
    skimmer in100 airstar 014.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 816
  • skimmer 3.jpg
    skimmer 3.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 796
  • skimmer 5.jpg
    skimmer 5.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 830
Last edited:

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
skimmer

next is a vertex in180 { i love the vertex line } built solid and just over all great skimmers, btw these use a sedra 3500 pump with a different volute on them the in100's pump is under sized air pull for what it needs, the in180 is a sedra 5000

next is a swc 160, nice built but the pump is just too much for the body. with the sicce 2500, the newer model has a sicce 600 which should be a much better fit for the body

next bk mini 160, liked the skimmer, built very well and love being able to take it completely apart, wasnt overly impressed especially for the cost

Attachments

• skimmer 6.jpg
    skimmer 6.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 804
  • skimmer 9.jpg
    skimmer 9.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 798
  • skimmer 11.jpg
    skimmer 11.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 775
  • skimmer 13.jpg
    skimmer 13.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 792
Last edited:

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
The question is, What does he do with the old ones ? I'm in the market for a skimmer for my 75. Total volume will be around 100-125 gallons. Lightly stocked. Would like to saty under $250-300. What are your thoughts?

Thanks much!

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
lol i always joke since i cant change wives that easy nor tanks now i like trying new skimmer's. i got others i need to post as well, some i dont have pic's of.

str i sell them on here most of the time. ive went through alot of skimmers in hopes like most that i would find that wow factor in a skimmer, ive yet to have one i didnt mod that gave me the wow thought, even though my next skimmer will be the ati powercone. one thing i have learned in owning so many skimmers is i have found out what lpm of air work about the best with height and neck size, granted there are other factors also

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
as a huge ati bubble master fan, i cant wait to see the new powercone. sadly i cant order one until april. next best thing will be your review of it. hurry up hurry up

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0

here are a few more skimmers
warner marine k2 love this skimmer, best fitted for a heavy stocked 120g to a stocked 180g

vertex alpha 200, best skimmer ive owned but more then likely will be too much for my tank, best for really heavy stocked 120g to a stocked 220g

skimz sm202 is a close to first best skimmer as far as one's ive owned, built like a tank truelly only dislike is not being able to take it fully apart, good for a heavy stocked 120g to a stocked 220g

more to come,
i will say this it is hard to find a solid skimmer thats not a little too much for a 60-90g tank, i know there are a few decent one's but i dont want a atman pump skimmer nor a meshwheel. my next and hopefully last skimmer will be a atb 840 2v

Attachments

• 5-19-11 001.jpg
    5-19-11 001.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 361
  • 9-3-11 057.jpg
    9-3-11 057.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 360
  • skimz skimmer 014.jpg
    skimz skimmer 014.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
here are a few more skimmers
warner marine k2 love this skimmer, best fitted for a heavy stocked 120g to a stocked 180g

vertex alpha 200, best skimmer ive owned but more then likely will be too much for my tank, best for really heavy stocked 120g to a stocked 220g

skimz sm202 is a close to first best skimmer as far as one's ive owned, built like a tank truelly only dislike is not being able to take it fully apart, good for a heavy stocked 120g to a stocked 220g

more to come,
i will say this it is hard to find a solid skimmer thats not a little too much for a 60-90g tank, i know there are a few decent one's but i dont want a atman pump skimmer nor a meshwheel. my next and hopefully last skimmer will be a atb 840 2v

What's the difference? I am confused:scratchch

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
the skimz was a killer skimmer, but was way over sized for my tank, while i could dial it down alot to work efficiently on my tank it didnt run as stable when dialed that far back, the vertex was hands down best over all skimmer i have used from quality to balance and adjustability
i did end up getting a atb 840 which for my tank size was out the box best skimmer for my tank size and bio-load

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Hello,
I want to purchase a Vertex Omega 180i skimmer for my 65g tank. I currently have a Seaside Aquatics CS7 skimmer. The CS7 skimmer runs fine, but I've been saving to get a Vertex and want to treat myself. Any thoughts or feedback on if this is a good buy or a good upgrade?

Serega

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Hello,
I want to purchase a Vertex Omega 180i skimmer for my 65g tank. I currently have a Seaside Aquatics CS7 skimmer. The CS7 skimmer runs fine, but I've been saving to get a Vertex and want to treat myself. Any thoughts or feedback on if this is a good buy or a good upgrade?

You are in luck, today BRS has a sale on Vertex Omega 180i for $319

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: