theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
FW dip with adjusted ph and temp is a good quick fix for flukes, but there is risk involved. A few weeks in qt with prazi pro is better. With that said, 2 weeks without eating, probably nothing going to help

Last edited:

mqur1963

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
you always quarantine them 1 st week just food once they start to eat 3 rd week antibiotics and4th week copper . you should keep them in QT for at least 4 weeks to 6 week

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Quarantine stresses them out more

Think of how they are caught ,contained,bagged,knocked all about ,stressed to say the least... From a BIG ocean to a glass container, i believe its the luck of the draw.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Depends on the fish and the set up. Most times it gives a stressed fish some time without any aggression some time to get us d to the new food, environment, water parameters. Not to mention the best way to treat fluke and worms which most angels come with, and stops it from infecting the rest of your display

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Works often, but not always. Sometimes the fish dies from the shock. Even if you adjust ph and temp.

Qt with prozipro for a few weeks will kill all flukes, as well as many other possible problems, so...

Also good to note that some flukes require hyposalinity to eradicate. Prazipro does not work for all flukes....

Ask me how I know :)

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Works often, but not always. Sometimes the fish dies from the shock. Even if you adjust ph and temp.

Qt with prozipro for a few weeks will kill all flukes, as well as many other possible problems, so...
If you read all the comments you would see I discouraged the dipping suggestion made by heuerfan especially if the fish is weak and shows no sign of infestation. And yes, marine fish can die from shock of dipping into freshwater. However some fish are stronger than others and the size of the fish is also a factor that should be taken into consideration while doing this. Marine Fish collectors use to fresh water dip. I'm not sure if they still do..

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
You aren't going to be able to see signs of flukes easily without dipping. Only place you can is in the eyes. Please do not misinform readers about dipping specifically large angels.

I have dipped many large angels and they have no problems with it. Especially asfur angels more than 10 minutes in fact.

I speak from personal experience with dipping multiple asfurs. These 3 were dipped multiple times before transferring to display.

https://youtu.be/6SpRhQScNkI

Last edited:

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
You aren't going to be able to see signs of flukes easily without dipping. Only place you can is in the eyes. Please do not misinform readers about dipping specifically large angels.

I have dipped many large angels and they have no problems with it. Especially asfur angels more than 10 minutes in fact.

I speak from personal experience with dipping multiple asfurs. These 3 were dipped multiple times before transferring to display.

https://youtu.be/6SpRhQScNkI

OMG, I dip too sir. I've been dipping since 1999. I thought I made that clear. I just wouldn't in this situation.

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Original poster said he has an Asfur that has not eaten, not mentioning the condition of the fish. You said not to dip not knowing if fish is weak or healthy so this leaves me to believe you are against dipping.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I hope you got a better understanding now. This is exactly what the guy wrote [ bought a ASFUR angel and its 2 weeks now and wont touch anything,,,] I would not dip this fish. Angel nor goldfish

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
I hope you got a better understanding now. This is exactly what the guy wrote [ bought a ASFUR angel and its 2 weeks now and wont touch anything,,,] I would not dip this fish. Angel nor goldfish

Clearly you don't understand the benefits of dipping.

Perhaps if op dipped when he first got Asfur it would still be alive.

I am trying to prevent people from losing fish like I have because of flukes.

A simple dip is harmless to a large angel in any condition it is in. How I know this is from personal experience.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
First, you had no way of knowing why the fish wasn't eating. The fish could of had flukes, intestinal worms, a bacteria infection, a parasite in its mouth, a damaged mouth, or possibly a reaction to the medication that it was given along the way from being collected. All of these things could have caused the fish to stop eating and a fresh water dip or bath wouldn't have helped with most of those things. Bottom line, he probably should have made sure that the fish was eating and doing good before he purchased it, but nowadays people just buy fish as soon as they arrive.

Most fish can take fresh water dips just fine, others stress out very heavily and can go into shock and die. You need to be very careful when doing one. In some case a fish that is doing bad a fresh water dip may help, but you'll find in most case it just stress the fish out more and bring about the fish dying faster.

As for the link that you posted, well first off there are different types of flukes, with different type of methods of breeding. You'll also see that most of the method talked about in the article are about containing the flukes and not eliminating them. As for hypo killing them completely, well I suggest you read up on threads on RC, where people have been combating flukes, and you'll see that hypo doesn't get rid of them from your tank, as once you're done with the treatment they come right back.

Once they're in your tank it's very hard to get rid of them and the the only really method to eliminate them is to treat all your fish separately and then leave the MT fallow. Now reef tanks, with the corals feeding on things, inverts, including shrimp and crabs, and filter shock can in time possibly eliminate or control them. But you should also QT all your fish before you place them into your tank in the first place, and treat any fish that you suspect of having problems. Then again it's very possible that fish you have right now may have flukes and you just don't know until they die for no reason.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: