Koolaidreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.3%
48   4   0
Recently picked up some frags, and an aptasia was attached to the bottom of the plug. There are a few large ones on my rock now all of a sudden and a few babies on my frag rack ( attached to the actual plastic). Before this worsens and I lose my sanity, how can I deal with this in the most effective way possible? I've read using lemon juice or kalk may work, but wondering what methods others have used. Appreciate any insight. Thank you in advance!

On a side note, I will be quarantining my fish and frags going forward. Lost all my fish to velvet last month...

You live and learn.

BryanD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s easy brothaaaaaa been had this problem, first thing you gotta do it stop over thinking it dude everyone in the hobby is making it seem like it’s the devil just go to your local pet store and get one peppermint shrimp

Attachments

• 63297F4F-D52C-4E1F-8BE6-3B6AE40E2DC9.jpeg
    63297F4F-D52C-4E1F-8BE6-3B6AE40E2DC9.jpeg
    481.9 KB · Views: 0

Koolaidreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.3%
48   4   0
I have 2 in my aquarium and a had a crap ton of aptasia and they are all gone now, matter of fact I go buy aptasia now for them to eat
That’s easy brothaaaaaa been had this problem, first thing you gotta do it stop over thinking it dude everyone in the hobby is making it seem like it’s the devil just go to your local pet store and get one peppermint shrimp
Sheesh, I didn't realize it wasn't a big deal. I've heard so many horror stories haha. Will pick a couple of these up. Appreciate it bro!

BryanD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sheesh, I didn't realize it wasn't a big deal. I've heard so many horror stories haha. Will pick a couple of these up. Appreciate it bro!
Yeah dude don’t sweat it, and if your getting the aptasia eating file fish be care because those file fishes could switch and eat your corals

Timbo

Got Reef?
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
These little bastards can be hell depending on what fish you have in your tank. If I drop any shrimp in my display my melanurus would rip them to pieces before they touched a piece of rock.

I let one in my 120g and regret it. Now, I check and triple check and won’t let any get in the system. Eradicate it immediately before babies pop up every where.

rwells

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
233   0   0
Yes my marine betta ate the shrimps as soon as I put them in why I went with the file fish which took care of them in no time. He was good for little over a year before he ate a colony of Zoa. Now I keep a copper band just for safety.

chemisfun11

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I have tried everything and they are difficult to eliminate once they enter your tank. I suggest using f*aptasia if it is a large outbreak and Red Sea Aptaisa - X to control maintain the population. Once a week I'd spot the little buggers and I would treat them accordingly. The f*aptasia requires a bit of mixing and time so that is why I suggest using it for a large outbreak. The Red Sea is better for spot treatments in my opinion. I had the shrimp, nudi's and the filefish and there are reasons they don't work 100% in everyone's system.

As time has past since I started my elimination mission I see fewer and fewer aptaisia each week. Now, I really need to search for them to find any to kill. In the past I'd destroy 5 then I'd notice 3 or 4 more after I thought I was done. Hope this helps.

Koolaidreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.3%
48   4   0
Thank you all for the help! I really appreciate all the different methods and ideas. I've never dealt with them before, so hoping this goes smoothly. Going to try my best to get this taken care of immediately. Really would like to prevent a full out infestation.

Reefer22

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Berghia are king. It takes a little time but it'll nuke the Aiptasia. They truly work. Can't mix them with wrasse though. Don't forget about copper bands. They can help also.

Koolaidreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.3%
48   4   0
I have no fish at the moment, but 2 cleaner shrimp and a fire shrimp. Starting off with Aiptasia X, and will supplement with the slugs. Don’t want my cleaners to eat the peppermint shrimp if I add them. Will update this thread with what worked for me after testing!

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Peppermint shrimps work well, just keep adding them until the aiptasia are gone.

If you don't have any fish that eat nudibranchs, then those are the best option. You can easily kill off all of the aiptasia in your tank and then resell the nudibranchs (I actually made a $100 profit when doing this the last time).

Rating - 100%
164   0   0
Keep in mind that even if you don't see them in the display that doesn't mean they are gone. They populate on every surface of the tank that is under water - the overflow, overflow pipes, sump... They are like the terminator - if you don't get rid of them entirely they'll be back.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: