20220209_182038.jpg
20220209_181256.jpg
20220209_181319.jpg

Last edited:

sabellafella

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Can you share your most recent parameters and husbandry?

Curious as to what your par levels look like top to bottom being a mixed reef, and how high your nitrates and phosphates are. Do you have 1 system or 2?
Sure thing. Husbandry has been exactly the same for me for the entire span my tanks been running.

Do a 20 percent water change every week with reef crystals. Top off my kalk and two part every 3 to 4 weekend during the water change. Calcium reactor maintenance when need be. Change the socks when dirty, cleaned the skimmer every week. Except now I have the swabbie works great, takes that to about monthly now. Cleaned pumps every 3 to 4 months, swap frag racks to cleaner ones. Clean the UVs, mostly calcified equipment, sump ect. Then bulbs every 8 months.

That's it. Here and there I'll throw 2 tablespoons of carbon in a mesh bag. Here and there I'll do some turkey basting and thorough cleanings.

The system is 7 years old. It's 1 system, at my mother's apartment which I don't even live there anymore, about to have my first born actually in the next week or so. Just so surprised how good the tank actually runs with litterally less then 1 hour a week in maintenance for the last 9 months. Mostly find myself having to plan days on cutting out over growth, and getting the water cleaned up shortly after. That's without a doubt my biggest concern. Theres so much **** dying on a day to day basis from fighting, it can't be good for the overall health of the aquarium.

Par cranks up top. Not sure if you can tell but I run 3 reefbrites and 6 bulbs on both tanks. Hits like 400 to 500 at the top layer, anywhere from the low 2s to high 3s right after. Sand bed is around 150, even in the shaded spots the t5s provide that high coverage par.

Nitrates at like 10 ppm, phos at .1.
Alk runs around 6.8 to 7.2
Calcium and mag would be so hard to manage if I didn't do those water changes everyweek. Using two part, kalk, and arm Calcium reactor media absolutely destroy trying to keep Calcium and mag consistent.

Usually hover around 450 to 500. Mags at 1400 for the moment

sabellafella

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
you are using reef crystals ?
as always very impressive
pics look awesome
tank looks amazing
do u like arm. better than reborn ?
man i would love to pick your brain one day
i love to see how other sps guys do their routine
thanks for sharing ?
So I've tried about every mainstream salt you can use. I've aways found my way back to reefcrystals. Regular is good too.

If I could find actual real coral skeleton to melt I would. Not sure if Julian just scooped up some straight up Miami sand or what but that new stuff is terrible.

The problem with aragonite media, the magnesium is like super rich in the arm stuff. Soon as I started using arm I've been having issues with high mag, I've had the same routine for years so I just chalked it up to that stuff.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: