Davidl919

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I know my case might not be the average case, but I've had one since the Spring swap last year and it's still alive and well, as far as i can tell. The tanks only a 40g breeder and it seems to be getting whatever it needs. It's bigger than when i got it as well.
Your case is average I have had one for about a year and it was moved from my 140 to my nano until I restart.

my first two, the most common seen...
Chelmon rostratus / copperband butterfly
too sensitive to collecting and importing process. does not acclimate well to captive life. for everyone that makes it there must be hundreds that die. leave it in the wild imo.
Pterosynchiropus splendidus / Madarin sp
not a hard fish to keep given the correct conditions. too many stores sell them to unsuspecting people who have no idea what care they need. this and the fact they are being over collected in many areas puts them on my do not import list.

Incredible if I would have seen this when I first started I would have followed your advice, at least I was not stubborn enough to keep trying

My advice is not to get a mythrax Crab if You have a lot of corals and little fish. If the mythrax doesn't find food it can turn towards your corals.
And no mantis shrimp unless you do your reading on the species.

nybb1001

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what not to own

Bicolor Pseudochromis
why?
what did it do?
Killed 2 cleaner shrimps, 1 fire shrimp, 1 fire fish, and 1 3" Borbonius Anthias which is more than 3 times it size. and constantly attack my other fish.
there's no way you can catch it. net, fish trap, eventually I removed all the rocks. and now, it is in the jail (my sump), for its whole life.

BFITZ06

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
every lfs i went to has told me to put a sand sifting star in my tank ??? and i have had one for 2-3 months no issues.

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Ofcourse there is always an exception to the 'rule'. If you want more info on SSS and the damage they cause check out the Reefcentral archives.

I will also pin Linkia stars to this list. After reading more about then, the purple ones might not be Linkias at all. There are so many species that look like that it is very hard for the average person to see which is which. The issue with all the linkia's is that little is known about what they actually eat. All the infomation states is 'the thin film of algae on the glass/rocks'. You can't suppliment their feeding.

I'm still going to try a Linkia in a few months though. :eek:

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I'm going to pimp reefs magazine one more time in this thread and say that everyone should read Dom's article about keeping difficult species alive

The thing about most animals that convential wisdom says that you can't keep is that you can keep them ... provided that you understand the needs of the animal and can provide for them adequately.

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum...ng-difficult-species-thinking-inside-box.html

There are a few things that we really can't keep - carnation corals, most nudibranches and sea slugs, many starfish, harlequin sweetlips .... anything where the volume of small particulate food or types of food can never be approximated by our tiny glass oceans.

CadetMKultra

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
mandarin - starved to death
sand sifting star - starved to death
molly miller blenny - easy to keep and will not harm sessile inverts. entertaining little fish. will harass and kill anything else eventually. had to give mine to the lfs.

JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I have had one for about 3 years used to be in my 36 clollumn for about 2 years and now in my 180 for almost a year now and no problems as of yet. Where is your evidence?
anyone else wanna share some experiences?

Had mine close to a year, no tank crashing and does a great job keeping sand bed clean. Used to be in a 36 now a 125

LongIslandAndy

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
No problem with sand sifting starfish, may have bought one that was not acclimated correctly in which case it would slowly melt away.I have kept a pair in a 120 reef with dsb for 9 years without incident. Problem with the internet is too much false information is posted, which causes people to blame the wrong reasons for a tank crash and ignore the real problem

2slo4me

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
as some may have said... BAN TAKING NUDIBRANCHES FROM THE OCEAN...
in my experience i have found a greek goddess that eats orange sponges and a purple nudi that got so huge cause it ate a 80 dolla sponge... too expensive to feed. imo

next is cling fish.. it was in my tank for 6-7 months then one day he died. he also took more then half of my nano tank with him including corals...

next is medusa worm... angel picked at it.. next am half tank dead. no bueno.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Ofcourse there is always an exception to the 'rule'. If you want more info on SSS and the damage they cause check out the Reefcentral archives.

I will also pin Linkia stars to this list. After reading more about then, the purple ones might not be Linkias at all. There are so many species that look like that it is very hard for the average person to see which is which. The issue with all the linkia's is that little is known about what they actually eat. All the infomation states is 'the thin film of algae on the glass/rocks'. You can't suppliment their feeding.

I'm still going to try a Linkia in a few months though. :eek:

the only linkia I have seen people have success with is the linkia mulitflora.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: