cisco1717

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
i have'nt lost any fish yet thank god, but people say that a fish can be a carrier but for how long? since there are stages and one of those stages is when ich detaches itself from the fish and swims to the bottom and encase itself and starts muliplying.

Yen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Marrone, now you got me confused, I thought everywhere I read, it is said Ich will eventually kill the infected fish! Good water quality helps boost the fish immune system, but that only helps fish from fighting against the parasites. But if the fish has been infected in the first place, it'll be succumbed to the disease eventually.

Yen

Yes everyone has tons of the fish, loaded with ich, and they live forever. As a matter of fact ich never kills any fish, it's the water, just like Pierce said. :splitspin

Yen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Fallow period ...

Make sure it has to be 6-8 weeks as Kathy said in her post.

I moved my fish 2 weeks too soon back to the main tank at the end of exactly 4 weeks. The fish showed no sign of flashing, scratching, white spots, etc in the last 2 weeks in the hospital tank. After one week in the main tank, the hippo tang got white spots on him, the sailfin tang and the blueface angel were seen to flash at least once.

Now they all back to the hospital tank, starting from the beginning all over again.

It's frustrating, but it's my mistake, can't complain, can I:splitspin

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
If would like to make sure we are talking in the same terms:

I equate
-Ich as Cryptocaryon; salt size white spot on fina dn skin first before gets tot he gills
-Oodinium as smaller than salt size, lind of like powder size white spot usually attack the gills first

If we have the same definitionoodinium, then most authoritive sites, including about.com, couple marine pharmacuetical sites, will claim oodinium kills fish faster as they attack the gill first and if we do not notice our fish in a short period of time, they die before we even have the chance to cure them. Even though, copper is very effective towards oodinium, most of the time, fighting oodinium is a loosing battle.

If we have the same definition of ich, then most authoritive sites including about.com and couple pharmaceutical company, will claim ich progresses slower than oodinium and is easiler to detect in the early stage as they are more readily found on the outside skin of fish. Unfortunately, even copper is not too effective against it. So treatment is a hard long battle.

Can coral or rock or even water carry parasites? Yes they can. They can carry the free swimming form and the dormant form that fallen off from the host. Therefore, no matter it's fish, inverts, coral nor rock, don't put transport water into your tank. Minimize it to the lowest possible.

QT is yet another hard to carry out topic. Many people wishing to keep the color of the coral and thus will not dip them. As someone mentioned earlier, to maintain a seperate system that is good enough to support corals, especially SPS, for long enough time of safe QTing is even rarer to be seen.

Last edited:

Yen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
What is a good practice for obtaining coral ...

to minimize the chances of introducing parasites to our tank and still reserve the color of the corals?

Thanks,

Yen

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
BTW, clean water does not boost the immune system, it reduce the stress placed on the fish otherwise.

Mike, I will side with Regal on his hypothesis. I have seen in my FOWLER and reef tanks that ich comes and goes, without any treatment and most were initiated by a large swing in temperature. I personally don't like to medicate, as the act of chasing and catching an ill fish from any tank will further stress the fish. Also I never had a fish survive the 1-2 weeks of copper treatment, mostly due to my inability to do water changes.

Yen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I believe leaving the parasites in the tank, sooner or later, the fish are going to get it and get killed, all you need is just a small mistake.

I think water change and precise dosing is the key in using copper to treat ich. All my fish, 10 in all, couple are fairly large fish, blueface: 7-8", sailfin 5-6", etc. came out healthy from 4 weeks copper treated 45 G tank.

Yen

BTW, clean water does not boost the immune system, it reduce the stress placed on the fish otherwise.

Mike, I will side with Regal on his hypothesis. I have seen in my FOWLER and reef tanks that ich comes and goes, without any treatment and most were initiated by a large swing in temperature. I personally don't like to medicate, as the act of chasing and catching an ill fish from any tank will further stress the fish. Also I never had a fish survive the 1-2 weeks of copper treatment, mostly due to my inability to do water changes.

cisco1717

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
well guys all i asked was can corals and inverts become a host? thank you all for your input, am going to start a QT tank tonight. all my fishes have a right to live and as a owner i will try my best. hope that all my fellow reefer keep up with the good advice even if it differs from one another lol good luck to all.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
I believe leaving the parasites in the tank, sooner or later, the fish are going to get it and get killed, all you need is just a small mistake.

I think water change and precise dosing is the key in using copper to treat ich. All my fish, 10 in all, couple are fairly large fish, blueface: 7-8", sailfin 5-6", etc. came out healthy from 4 weeks copper treated 45 G tank.

Yen

And I believe it is impossible to eradicate ich from a tank that contains water. Just ask all the people that have treated their fish and tanks over the years.

you put multiple large angels in a 45G tank for 4 weeks?:shocked1:

Yen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I believe it's possible that we can. If we make sure all ich in there are gone by keeping the main tank fallow for 6-8 weeks, and keeping a good QT practice when introducing new fish into the tank. The only I'm not sure how to do is about coral that's why I posted the question.

I've also been keeping fish for years, although they're fresh water fish, but the practice is pretty much similar.

They're not all large angel. I got 4 clowns, 3 3-4" yellow tangs, 1 3-4" hippo tang, 1 5-6" sailfin tang, and a 7-8" blueface angel. For the first 2 weeks, I kept watching the ammonia and nitrite, and changed 30% of water everyday until they both came down to 0. They all came out healthy.

Yen

And I believe it is impossible to eradicate ich from a tank that contains water. Just ask all the people that have treated their fish and tanks over the years.

you put multiple large angels in a 45G tank for 4 weeks?:shocked1:

UnknownWaters

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
About 4 weeks ago I introduced a hippo tang into my system without quarintine and 2 days later ich everywhere. And 4 days later my tank was looking like an aquatic cemetary I know big mistake on my part(spare me the lecture). But when I talked about treating the tank I was told to never treat a reef tank and netting all the sick fish was not an option so I said screw it if they die I will just go 6 to 8 weeks fallow.
Until LPS owner said try this product called KICK ICH. I went against what I was told by a friend and treated my reef tank. After 4 doses of this stuff it worked and fish are doing great and so are corals the only thing that got stressed out was a white bubble tip (that had brownish tinge since I dosed the tank)and a hairy mushroom I have receded a little other than that everything else is doing fine. Only thing I did not like about this product was turning off my skimmer,phosban and carbon reactors off for 2 weeks but hey it worked. Im happy with the results but maybe I just got lucky.

Yen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
It's great that you saved your fish and major head-ache of trying to catch all the fish. I stayed up until 4AM that night catching, prepare the hospital tank, replaced the rock, etc.

Maybe I'm unlucky:splitspin I did try Kick-ich for 3 days before going the copper route, didn't see any improvement.

Yen

About 4 weeks ago I introduced a hippo tang into my system without quarintine and 2 days later ich everywhere. And 4 days later my tank was looking like an aquatic cemetary I know big mistake on my part(spare me the lecture). But when I talked about treating the tank I was told to never treat a reef tank and netting all the sick fish was not an option so I said screw it if they die I will just go 6 to 8 weeks fallow.
Until LPS owner said try this product called KICK ICH. I went against what I was told by a friend and treated my reef tank. After 4 doses of this stuff it worked and fish are doing great and so are corals the only thing that got stressed out was a white bubble tip (that had brownish tinge since I dosed the tank)and a hairy mushroom I have receded a little other than that everything else is doing fine. Only thing I did not like about this product was turning off my skimmer,phosban and carbon reactors off for 2 weeks but hey it worked. Im happy with the results but maybe I just got lucky.

UnknownWaters

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
3 days isn't long enough thats just the first dose you can try it every 2 days and it really works better if the fish look bad like mine did. I did 1st dose thursday 2nd dose on sunday and and I was supposed to do the next dose on wednesday but went for tuesday instead and then waited until friday to do the last dose and waited until sunday to turn skimmer carbon and phosban back on again and it worked great.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: