basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
I got a cynarina via fed ex and it wasn't in the best shape. Some of the outer skeleton was visable but the septa around the center did go all around. I placed it on the bottom and the septa did inflate a bit but seemed to inflate less each day so I moved it up to mid tank. Now the septa really blows up very big. The color changed from a kelly green to sort of a dingy green. The skeleton is getting covered more but it is still open along the outer edges. Have not tried feeding it yet. I have T5 lighting. 96w in a 24 gallon.
Any suggestions.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
I finally got around to feeding it. When I put the food (chopped up silversides) in the center it just seemd to sink in. The mouth did not open but the food goes in somehow. I will try to get a picture of it. Now the center is a rusty brown and the septa a dark green. At night when the septa deflate the green is almost a kelly green.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Hi Sam...Cynarina should always be placed on the sand bed due to the delicate nature of the coral. The tissue can easily tear as they inflate if you place them on the rock.
Spot feeding is excellent and necessary in this coral.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
But it wasn't doing well on the bottom so I put it up. Same story for that big open brain. I just made sure they don't come in contact with any rock.
Here are some pictures of the tank and the cynarina. Also picture of my new open brain and Welso at the bottom right.

Attachments

• IMG_0524.jpg
    IMG_0524.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_0525.jpg
    IMG_0525.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_0526.jpg
    IMG_0526.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_0533.jpg
    IMG_0533.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_0545.jpg
    IMG_0545.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_0527.jpg
    IMG_0527.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 311
Rating - 99.5%
204   1   0
I finally got around to feeding it. When I put the food (chopped up silversides) in the center it just seemd to sink in. The mouth did not open but the food goes in somehow. I will try to get a picture of it. Now the center is a rusty brown and the septa a dark green. At night when the septa deflate the green is almost a kelly green.

Use squid or shrimp...no bone in them like silversides

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
just wondeing if that is hair algae growing in the back pane..maybe your phosphates are high.
It is a very strange hair algae and easy to clean out. It only grows on the plastic in the tank like the back and the nozzels. I let it go some times just to give the pods a nice place to grow. But it cleans off very easy. Actually now it is almost all gone. I think my snails got hungry or my blenny decided he likes it. I also have a cyano problem. If you look close on some pictures you can see some spots of it. Right now it is fairly controlled but there is more there than I would like. I started using Special Blend in May and it is much improved so maybe that is helping.

DJYoshi

A Newbie to the Reef Game
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I would agree with Kathy...all of the coral in that donut category have delicate "flesh" if you will and can tear killing it.... but then again..Kathy what's your take on it since he doesn't have a sand bed??? looks like gravel?!

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
The substrate is crushed coral. You can see my large open brain up on the rock is doing fine. I got it over a year ago and it was about 3 inches and now it is six. It sits on a large half shell so it doesn't touch rock. I have now moved the cynarina up into the rock where it is not touching anything. Will see how it does there. I have a lobo that was showing skeleton when I got it and now it is nice and plump so I am hoping the Cynarina will do the same.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: